This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Desktop battery?

#1mizukage2Posted 9/1/2013 8:47:30 PM
Someone once mentioned to me that it was possible to put a battery in a desktop computer so that it wouldn't shut off if the power flickered and would give you time to save your work and shut it down normally if a full blown blackout occurred. Was there any truth to this or were they just messing with me?
---
I mean, i never see the right bash the left on anything because the blame game causes more issues than anything-Josh
#2m0986-8Posted 9/1/2013 8:51:35 PM
Battery backups are what I use. They are outside the desktop and keep it from turning off during an outage
---
Black 2 FC: 1593-5449-4573 (I am well aware the 3DS is region locked)
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3.0GHZ | HD 5770 | 4GB RAM
#3ShubPosted 9/1/2013 8:52:23 PM
It's true, except it doesn't go IN your desktop. It's a big heavy box with a large battery in it that you connect to your wall outlet and it typically has several outlets of its own that you connect your computer and monitor to. It's called a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4mizukage2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 8:56:52 PM
Shub posted...
It's true, except it doesn't go IN your desktop. It's a big heavy box with a large battery in it that you connect to your wall outlet and it typically has several outlets of its own that you connect your computer and monitor to. It's called a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).

Cool, do they sell those at Newegg?
---
I mean, i never see the right bash the left on anything because the blame game causes more issues than anything-Josh
#5ShubPosted 9/1/2013 8:58:54 PM
Sure they do. They're not hard to find. Good brands include APC and Cyberpower. I would imagine Tripp-Lite is OK as well but I have no experience with their UPS. Outside of those three, tread with caution.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6mizukage2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 9:03:25 PM
Cool, thanks.
---