This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for advice on a headset/headphones.

#1WhiteRabbitKiziPosted 9/2/2013 5:18:55 AM
I have been looking around online for a good pair of headphones to replace my home theater system. In the past I have used Razer and Turtle Beach. I did love the Razer headphones, but those were used on a desktop with the proper sound card installed. I am now using a MSI GT780DX gaming laptop, which does not have the proper connections for a 5.1 or 7.1 headset.

My TV does have the optical out and single headphone jack on the back. Given my setup, what headset would work best for me?

Is the Razer Tiamat really as bad as I have read if you use the adapter to 1 3.5mm?

Thank you for your replies. ^_^
---
GT: WhiteRabbitKizi ; SteamID: twilightgenesis
#2daemon_danPosted 9/2/2013 5:27:01 AM
what's your budget, and what kind of music are you planning to listen to? (yes, that matters. Likely far more than the games you play)
---
"Asgaard's always been my home! But I'm of different blood.
I will overthrow their throne! Deceiver of the Gods!."
#3WhiteRabbitKizi(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 3:01:07 PM
Ah, sorry. Should have included that. Budget wise I'm good probably up to 200-300. The headphones will be used mostly with watching TV/Youtube/Netflix. The rare occasion when I do listen to music on the TV it would be a mix of Rock/Techno/Pop/Dance lol.
---
GT: WhiteRabbitKizi ; SteamID: twilightgenesis
#4SampsonMPosted 9/2/2013 3:07:07 PM
Gaming headphones are a ripoff. Just buy a pair of quality headphones and pair it with a clip-on mic.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#5daemon_danPosted 9/2/2013 3:13:56 PM
These are the ones I personally own. Now that I've burned them in for over 100 hours, the sound quality is amazing. Before I burned them in, it was still better than any headphones I've ever had.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378159338&sr=8-1&keywords=ultrasone+hfi-780

These are also often highly suggested.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-225i-Prestige-Series-Headphones/dp/B0006GCCN6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378159557&sr=8-2&keywords=grado

The high range sounds on both of them MIGHT be a little harsh for you at first but after some burn in it should mellow out. Be careful about the Ultrasones, they're a german company and don't honor warranties in the US, according to their site. IDK if they really won't or what.

These are also very well received, but it's probably best to have a DAC or sound card with headphone amp.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-AMS-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378159863&sr=1-1&keywords=DT+990

Keep in mind the second 2 I linked are open back, so you will get audio bleed both into and out of them, so if you're around a lot of people, they WILL hear your headphones if the volume is up a little.
---
"Asgaard's always been my home! But I'm of different blood.
I will overthrow their throne! Deceiver of the Gods!."