This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have to reapply thermal paste in a sager laptop!

#11godplaysSNESPosted 9/2/2013 8:24:54 AM
Voelger posted...
Yeah, I should check about warranty- but I don't think that will be an issue. I bought it from mythlogic

Don't know about mythlogic, but if your warranty were still valid, it's best to contact them before doing anything yourself. If you were to contact them after you've opened it up, they could likely refuse a warranty claim
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#12thrashmetal59Posted 9/2/2013 11:40:23 AM
Also if you do not have a warranty and have to open it up, do something to keep track of the small screws and pieces and something to help remember where they go.

Might not seem like a big deal, but when you put it back together and still have 10 screws laying around...you start to worry.

My recommendation; Either draw diagrams of each step while taking the laptop apart, essentially creating a picture guide. You will notice that the screws sometimes have a color ring on them (red and blue generally) use this to color code your guide.

you can also get a few small containers (baby food jars are great) and put screws from each section (outer border, mobo, HDD, ect) and place the screws from each area in separate and labeled jars.

basically anything to keep track of what goes where.

Youtube videos are great for seeing how its done before you actually tear into the laptop. Lastly, don't go to overboard on the thermal paste. It does not take much and to much can be just as bad as none. You can Youtube that as well.
---
i5 3570K:: XFX Radeon 5770 1gb:: 8gb DDR3 G.Skill Sniper Series:: x2 300gb HDD:: Antec 430w EarthWatts:: AsRock Z77 Extreme 4:: HAF 912::
#13WerdnAndreWPosted 9/2/2013 11:44:50 AM
Opening a laptop is not fun especially if its your first time.

thrashmetal59 posted...
My recommendation; Either draw diagrams of each step while taking the laptop apart, essentially creating a picture guide. You will notice that the screws sometimes have a color ring on them (red and blue generally) use this to color code your guide.

you can also get a few small containers (baby food jars are great) and put screws from each section (outer border, mobo, HDD, ect) and place the screws from each area in separate and labeled jars.

basically anything to keep track of what goes where.

This x10000000. When I opened my laptop I looked for a guide and luckily I found one. I kept track of where all the screws went because some are in different lengths and size.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#14Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 4:31:57 PM
I got arctic silver 5, but I'm not doing anything yet until I talk to mythologic. I will just clean my fans and stuff with a can of air
---
Gaming PC from Mythlogic,, Wii U, XboxOne-PS4 Undecided
#15daemon_danPosted 9/2/2013 4:38:30 PM
dmccappin posted...
I've done it for a few Dell laptops that had been badly seated. Fairly easy just follow the heat pipe and remember where each screw goes.
Give it a clean with isopropanol Alcohol 99%, re-apply with thermal paste small blob in the centre and spread it evenly with a credit card or something similar.

Noooooooooooooo. Put a small blob in the center and allow the heatsink to spread it.
---
"Asgaard's always been my home! But I'm of different blood.
I will overthrow their throne! Deceiver of the Gods!."
#16Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 4:45:41 PM
Interesting.... This seems to be a major debate online! Should ou spread it or not?
---
#17wizardmonPosted 9/2/2013 4:49:01 PM
Voelger posted...
Interesting.... This seems to be a major debate online! Should ou spread it or not?

Don't spread, it causes airbubbles to form when the surface mashes down upon it.

If it's mashing down on a pea sized dot of paste, the paste will spread itself evenly across the surface of the CPU surface without allowing airbubbles to form.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#18daemon_danPosted 9/2/2013 4:51:17 PM
wizardmon posted...
Voelger posted...

Don't spread, it causes airbubbles to form when the surface mashes down upon it.

If it's mashing down on a pea sized dot of paste, the paste will spread itself evenly across the surface of the CPU surface without allowing airbubbles to form.

^ this
---
"Asgaard's always been my home! But I'm of different blood.
I will overthrow their throne! Deceiver of the Gods!."
#19Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 4:56:21 PM
Weird, I have seen outnumber videos where the dude spread it evenly with a finger in a plastic bag
---
#20WerdnAndreWPosted 9/2/2013 4:59:37 PM
Don't spread it.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q