This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mouse and keyboard work with bios, but turn off once Windows 7 loads

#1kjhoveyPosted 9/2/2013 11:00:37 AM
Hello, I recently got a new PC and have been having some issues with the USB ports.

The USB ports have been a little screwy from the get go, but I always found a way for them to work. The back ports always worked fine, it was the 4 front 2.0s that would randomly lose connection.

Anyways, this wasn't a big deal to me initially, but I'm starting to think there's a new problem that might have something to do with this.

I recently moved to a new apartment and had to transfer my PC. I got everything set up, but when I tried to turn it on, I noticed the LEDs in my mouse/computer turn off once Windows 7 loaded. This kept happening, so I loaded the bios up. I've tried every setting with USB in it... but no luck.

My biggest hint is that the bios states that there are 3 keyboards and 2 mice hooked up. So it thinks I have multiple devices hooked up even though I only have to two in. I've tried opening up the computer and restarting the CMOS, reconnecting the USB ports, and a few other things.

Does anyone have any advice? I've googled for hours and nothing seems to be working.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/kjhovey
GT=kjhovey v2 PSN= kjhovey Nintendo Network ID= kjhovey
#2Dirk85UKPosted 9/2/2013 11:02:47 AM
Sounds like a power issue. Have you tried just connecting either the mouse or the keyboard? I remember the windows wireless receiver for the xbox 360 controller not working due to there not being enough power for my USB sockets.
---
i5 2500 | 8Gb DDR3 | GTX 670 FTW | Asus P8 P67 | Intel 330 SSD | XFX 650W | Dell U2711
#3kjhovey(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 11:06:33 AM
Dirk85UK posted...
Sounds like a power issue. Have you tried just connecting either the mouse or the keyboard? I remember the windows wireless receiver for the xbox 360 controller not working due to there not being enough power for my USB sockets.

Yes, I've tried this. I don't think that's the issue though, because when I had my PC running, I had several USB ports plugged into the back ports and the front USB 3.0s, including an elgato capture card and pulse elite headsets.

I feel like the computer thinks that there's a mouse and 2 kbs already plugged in before anything is actually in.
---
#4Dirk85UKPosted 9/2/2013 12:31:40 PM
Try this: Disconnect all USB peripherals, disconnect the power cord from the PSU. Reset the CMOS on your motherboard. Plug the power cord back. Then plug in your keyboard/mouse and check the BIOS and see what it says.
---
i5 2500 | 8Gb DDR3 | GTX 670 FTW | Asus P8 P67 | Intel 330 SSD | XFX 650W | Dell U2711
#5OldSorrowPosted 9/2/2013 12:43:28 PM
Put your keyboard and mouse in usb2 not usb3
#6PolarisPosted 9/2/2013 12:57:25 PM
kjhovey posted...
Yes, I've tried this. I don't think that's the issue though, because when I had my PC running, I had several USB ports plugged into the back ports and the front USB 3.0s, including an elgato capture card and pulse elite headsets.

I feel like the computer thinks that there's a mouse and 2 kbs already plugged in before anything is actually in.

One of those other devices are probably accounting for the mismatch on kb, mouse count. Sometimes devices reveal themselves to the OS as an input even though they are not used that way-- just so they can produce actions like a keyboard without needing a driver.

It could be causing a conflict in this case.
#7kjhovey(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 6:25:59 PM(edited)
I don't know if I figured out my exact problem, but I did fix it.

I tried many, many things before I got this desperate... so I'm glad it worked lol. I had already tried resetting the CMOS by removing the battery and such.

I live about 90 minutes away from my house atm, so I didn't have access to another kb/mouse/mobo drivers. I ended up driving back to my house to get those.

I tried the other kb and mouse, and, shockingly, the mouse worked. The kb didn't though. I know for a fact it wasn't the USB port consistently working... I felt like I just got lucky with that. If I unplugged the mouse and plugged it back in, I have a feeling it wouldn't have came back on because that actually happened when I got my other mouse to work for a few minutes.

ANYWAYS, I tried a lot of stuff. But what I think worked was reinstalling my mobo's chipset driver. I also used sfc/scannow and downloaded some windows update my computer apparently didn't have.

After all of that, everything started to work again.

I've dealt with a lot of computer problems, but this was a very weird occurrence.

Thanks to everybody that gave advice, I appreciate it.
---