This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for puzzle game, TBS, and platformer recommendations.

#1OraclefoxPosted 9/2/2013 4:25:19 PM(edited)
Hey guys, I've been losing interest in story driven games for a while now. It seems like when I start them up I either don't finish them, or I just rush through the game to see what will happen next (Castlevania LoS being the most recent example).

I'm looking for games that attempt to challenge either the mind or dexterity, with a focus more on gameplay than story.

To be more specific:

Platformers: Anything in the vein of Super meat boy, and megaman games are ideal.

Puzzle: This genre I'm not too familiar with unfortunately. I'd say I'm looking for environmental/logic puzzles more so than stuff like bejeweled where it's primarily pattern recognition.

Edit:

I forgot to mention TBS: I've looked into this genre, and, unfortunately, most of the interesting looking tbs seem to be dominated by 4X style strategy games. I've only played Civ V from that genre and I love the game, but it takes far too long to finish a match. I'm more of a fan of the advance wars style games--not sure what type of strategy game this is though.

Thanks in advance.
---
PSN: CLeJack
#2CircleOfManiasPosted 9/2/2013 4:29:10 PM
SpaceChem is the best pure puzzle game of the past few years. It's very difficult, as any self-respecting puzzle game should be, and there's enough content to last you forever.
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#3Oraclefox(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 5:55:59 PM
I'll check out the demo for it, I saw the game when it first came out, but on the surface it doesn't have much visual appeal, since you can't immediately see what it is that is going one exactly. Do I get to learn about chemistry while playing? Cause if so that's pretty awesome.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyone else have anything? I've pretty much neglected these genres on PC so almost anything worth mentioning I probably haven't played.

I've played Trine, SMB, Braid, Dustforce. I know about Spelunky, and I will probably get it eventually. I've played Portal in the Puzzle category and Civ V in the strategy category. That's about the extent of it though.
---
PSN: CLeJack
#4TimePharaohPosted 9/2/2013 5:58:18 PM(edited)
The Swapper
X-COM UFO Defense
X-COM Terror from the Deep
X-COM Apocalypse
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png