This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Quest to clear my Steam backlog -- with thoughts and write-ups.

#11Talks(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 8:02:10 PM
============
Doom 1
============
It's The Ultimate Doom on Steam. I really don't know anything about the different engines used to run the game. I don't plan on modding it right now, so I don't think it's a concern. I think it runs DOSBox for you.

In the past when I played Doom I got really overwhelmed by the secrets I think. I felt like I wasn't playing right or something because I wasn't finding very many of them. But I think I should just go through the game naturally, and save the thorough scrubbing for later play throughs.

First off, this game is really addicting. The action is very fast-paced, and there's even a sprint button that makes things go by almost too quickly to comprehend! This version of the game has mouselook and a map (can't remember if the map was in other versions...) The map is actually not all that helpful, it's funner just to explore the world in first person anyway.

Shooting things feels more beefy than most modern shooters, especially the shotgun. But even the pistol feels like a small clap of thunder. Demons/soliders have an animation and a sound when they're hit that's so simple. It seems binary; hit or miss. Clarity and satisfaction that I don't see in modern games. Every landed shot is like a speedball, a rounded jab of adrenaline and contentment.

I'm playing on Hurt-me-plenty and the game isn't really difficult. I made it about a third of the way into Shores of Hell, the second episode before the 2-hour mark hit. I'm not very good at most games, so I'm a little surprised. The controls are remarkably responsive. The game feels so fair as a result. The game's framerate really makes playing feel effortless.

The graphics are great though. I love the occult imagery, I everything in the game reeks of "what the hell is that?" In the sense that you're in some alien hell. It feels like the satanic version of being a kid again because everything is so original. Maybe it's just the vagueness of the graphics causing my imagination to run wild though... But I can hardly dock it for that :) It's delightful that evil is a maylaise of rainbow in this game, it uses every color in bright neon (lurid in some cases, but... it's old. Perhaps the luridity helps the evil atmosphere). The sound itself is... acceptable considering the games age, but it's simplicity definitely adds to the satisfaction factor. The music is perfect. I don't know what else to say about it. It reminded me of Deus Ex's music for some reason. It's very multi-dimensional, it goes from the famous E1M1 to much more atmospheric, peaceful yet creepy tracks.

Will I revisit this game? Probably. I will beat episode 3 some time, I've heard episode 4 isn't as good. There isn't a good story to keep me attached (which is usually pretty important for me in a game), but the game is so good, I find myself not caring.
============
---
http://i.imgur.com/gBllw.jpg
#12Talks(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 8:04:08 PM
Okay, that writeup is way tl;dr, I want them to be about as long as the first one was. But even with this one there's a lot I didn't talk about. Oh well, more games to be played. Probably starting tonight.

I've actually played TWD on console. Amazing game. I fully intend to replay it as soon as I get 400 Days, which I'd rather pick up for 2.49 rather than 4.99 like it is right now.

That other topic makes me want to play Half life 1 though. I've beaten the whole series, but close to the time The Orange box was released, so a reeeally long time ago. But I'm going to have to actually complete it in order to get to episodes 1 and 2, which I haven't cleared. So I might just do something different.
---
http://i.imgur.com/gBllw.jpg
#13kobalobasileusPosted 9/2/2013 10:01:19 PM
Sorry TC, I can't agree with your premise. "Cleared" means you have beaten whatever single-player/story mode the game has and have seen the end credits. Playing for a couple of hours might fly for overburdened pro reviewers, but you bought those games - you owe it to yourself to play them.
#14chaosdragon919Posted 9/3/2013 3:06:33 AM
kobalobasileus posted...
Sorry TC, I can't agree with your premise. "Cleared" means you have beaten whatever single-player/story mode the game has and have seen the end credits. Playing for a couple of hours might fly for overburdened pro reviewers, but you bought those games - you owe it to yourself to play them.

That's pretty much how I see it. Main story at least needs to be beaten. Don't care about side quests or alternate endings (unless the 'true' ending is much more important and plausible to get. I'm look at you Braid's stars).
---
Needs more books.
#15SmurfyDPosted 9/3/2013 3:08:58 AM
I'm on my own journey right now. Actually crossed a couple off so far and am working on Risen 2.

http://www.backloggery.com/smurfyd

Good luck on yours.
#16SlaynPosted 9/3/2013 4:17:35 AM
So I started clearing my backlog as well... doing things on a whim did NOT work out, because I would play for a little bit, and then I was interested in another game, and I kept jumping around as I purchased stuff. This time I am doing it very simple:

1. I am doing it alphabetical.

2. If I don't like a game much after 30 minutes, delete local content, move on.

So far I have played A.R.E.S. which was a terrible game IMO. I have so many games, no reason to force myself to play one I am not enjoying. I have a HUGE backlog. Deleted that and moved on to Alan Wake. Loved Alan Wake, played it until the end. I started playing Alan Wake: American Nightmare, found it to be crap. Played an hour, realized it was basically a watered down version of the original, uninstall. Alpha Protocol- what a GEM! Addicted to this game. Very underrated, would highly recommend.

Next up is Assassin's Creed series. I purchased them all after I got AC3 for free with my video card ( I still have a spare cd key sitting around from my 2nd card in SLI ). This will be harder because it is a series, hope I can keep interested in it long enough. It is all or none, don't see why I would skip 1-2 games in the series. I usually play on Normal unless it is just too damned easy. I USUALLY play games on Hard, but I have so many, I don't want to add more time by dying over and over unless I just LOVE the gameplay. I am mostly playing just to finish and move on, as systematic as that sounds. Not to say I don't enjoy myself, I just don't want to be stuck on a game on Hard mode and add 50% extra time dying over and over.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#17wobbuffet10Posted 9/3/2013 7:21:45 AM
I'm doing something similar, I have about 50 unbeaten games currently, mostly on Steam, and I'm not buying any more games this year in order to cut down on them. The last time I bought a game was July 19th, and I've beaten 7 games since then.
---
My backlog: http://backloggery.com/melatonin
My music: http://soundcloud.com/z-plan