This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

x.x why do I torture myself with some games

#1CardigansFanPosted 9/2/2013 11:58:28 PM(edited)
I played Cryostasis a while ago, and quit after a little bit due to graphics constraints (playing on a M11x R1 is not enjoyable); when I come back to it, I stop less than halfway into it and "forget" about it (meaning I stop playing it because I'm too scared to continue and eventually uninstall it).

I buy the Penumbra games...and only play like 1-2 hours into the first before "forgetting" about it, and even after reading a walkthrough or watching gameplay videos at certain points to lessen the jump scare.

I buy Dark Fall: Lost Souls, and even though it's a point'n'click with mostly static areas and no way of dying/losing (AFAIK - didn't get too far), and even with a walkthrough (partially because I was stuck at certain points >.>), I similarly "forget" about it.

And now I feel like I'm done with Anna Extended after less than an hour in x.x

I'm not even playing these games under ideal conditions either (at night with no lights, headphones with audio up, nobody in room and/or home); I'm only playing with headphones while my girlfriend is in the other room.

...and yet I keep coming back for more, with some games (like Amnesia) that I haven't even touched. I never have issues with horror movies, it's only with horror games.

/blogFAQs
---
3570k | GTX670 FTW | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD
Nexus 4 16GB White * Sharp Actius MM20 * AKA Magus77
#2CardigansFan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 9:32:27 PM
Nobody else does this? Guess I'm just a wimp >.>
---
#3pfantzypantzPosted 9/3/2013 9:41:40 PM
Don't worry dawg, I've had my fair share of that, it's always like "This time, I'm going to actually play through it" but then I get to a scary point and save, then never come back to it... Heck, the only 'horror' games I've completed are RE4 and Dead Space, which weren't much scary, though DS had it's moments.

My most recent is Silent Hill, though that's more of a cumbersome thing, as my save is on hard mode, at the school, which is considered the hardest part of the game, dang those kid things.
#4machetemanPosted 9/3/2013 10:16:50 PM
I gave up on Cryostasis...the terrible combat and pitiful FPS ruined any sort of fun or horror elements.

Game just wasn't that good.
#5SenkoyPosted 9/3/2013 10:19:10 PM
You're such a wimp that you're afraid of a stupid game yet you still have a gf? There is no justice in the world...
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#6machetemanPosted 9/3/2013 10:43:46 PM
Senkoy posted...
You're such a wimp that you're afraid of a stupid game yet you still have a gf? There is no justice in the world...

He makes her play it for him.
#7CardigansFan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 12:32:26 AM
pfantzypantz posted...
Don't worry dawg, I've had my fair share of that, it's always like "This time, I'm going to actually play through it" but then I get to a scary point and save, then never come back to it... Heck, the only 'horror' games I've completed are RE4 and Dead Space, which weren't much scary, though DS had it's moments.

My most recent is Silent Hill, though that's more of a cumbersome thing, as my save is on hard mode, at the school, which is considered the hardest part of the game, dang those kid things.

I dunno, games like Dead Space or Resident Evil never really got to me; the abundance of guns/ammunition even on higher difficulties lost any aspect of horror, along with all but one or two areas pretty easy to predict in terms of jump scares and the like.

macheteman posted...
I gave up on Cryostasis...the terrible combat and pitiful FPS ruined any sort of fun or horror elements.

Game just wasn't that good.

I haven't played it in a while - was it really that bad? The only complaints I remember were that PhysX took a huge toll on performance, and that it wasn't too optimized or pretty to begin with.

Senkoy posted...

You say that like gender is an indicator of anything...I'd probably have a bf if I didn't meet her first >.>

macheteman posted...
He makes her play it for him.

LOLno. She's woken me up a few times because she couldn't deal with a nightmare on a few occasions. I can't even watch most horror movies with her without having to finish it myself later.
---
#8Lonestar2000Posted 9/4/2013 12:55:04 AM
Man the f*** up and stop being such a wuss.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#9Psalm51Posted 9/4/2013 1:54:03 AM
Ahaa...Someone else suffering from a playing computer games crisis, huh! It happens to me too, from time to time. Like you, if I start and stop playing a number of (mediocre or even bad?) games in a row, I suffer from a mini-crisis and wonder what I am doing wrong! The solution is usually to go and play a really good game, review it and start feeling good about yourself again. As an aside, with most of us playing games on multiple devices now, I think the likelihood of us getting confused and occasionally burnt out increases.
---
King David, my hero.
#10_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/4/2013 2:23:24 AM
Unfortunately games do not scare me like they used to.

I remember playing resident evil at night on the PS1 in my parents attic. A couple of times I would be so scared I jumped to mash the power button. :D I was scared out of my mind, yet I still wanted to play it. I think this is how these games should be. Now though, I only see pixels and things are not remotely scary.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H