This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about windows license keys

#1Skul_Posted 9/3/2013 1:39:39 AM
I have windows 7 on a prebuilt PC (Includes disc and product key), a friend is building a new PC. He wants windows 7. I want 8.

If he buys me 8, and i install it on this prebuilt, and give him my OEM 7 disc and key, will everything work fine? Or will something break.
---
It's not like the buyer just swipes a credit card, puts the employees under their arm, bows, and walks out of Index HQ. - Kromlech06
#2WeaponX1138Posted 9/3/2013 1:43:27 AM
You'll have to call Microsoft and tell them you had to replace the MB in the windows 7 machine so they can re-activate it for you.

Otherwise it should be fine.
---
Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom. STEAM ID: Silentmark1138
#3Rolen47Posted 9/3/2013 1:49:18 AM(edited)
Some OEM Windows discs will detect hardware and refuse to install if does not match one of the vendor's prebuilt configuration. If you find that the case then you'll have to use a regular Windows 7 disc/iso. Luckily you can get one by googling "legal windows 7". Your key should work with this regular disc/iso.
#4Skul_(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 1:48:07 AM
Oh, and one thing about the prebuilt, it wasn't built in a factory it was built by ComputerAlliance. (A local computer store)

Does that affect anything?
---
It's not like the buyer just swipes a credit card, puts the employees under their arm, bows, and walks out of Index HQ. - Kromlech06