This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I can't believe how much XCOM is better on PC

#1patribrodPosted 9/3/2013 8:38:07 AM
Played the game on PS3 when it was free on PS+. Liked the idea, but the loading was horrible, so were the graphics and playing with a controller didn't feel right.

Picked it up for 10$ on Steam in hopes if giving it another shot. Wow. Game is GREAT!

Graphics are not incredible but they are very smooth and there are not pop ins or slow down. The game itself is way better with m/kb. I can fully appreciate it and have played for about 15 hours, without being slowed down by stupid load times.

Any other similar games that play better on PC? Hows Skulls of the Shogun is it similar?
---
FX8350 / ATI Sapphire 7870XT OCed / Patriot 64GB SSD / 3x1TB WD Black / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / 12GB DDR3 / 750W C-Master GX / Corsair 300R / Steam ID : PatriBrod
#2Z2488Posted 9/3/2013 8:44:55 AM
With the exception of a few notoriously bad ports like Saints Row 2, I would argue that just about every multiplat is better on PC if you've got the hardware to run it well. Solid state drive, multiple control options, and higher framerate and resolution seem like real obvious pros in every case.
---
i5 2500k at 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 670 - MSI Z68A-GD80 - Seasonic X 750W - GSkill 16GB - Crucial m4 128GB - NZXT Beta EVO
#3SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/3/2013 8:50:26 AM
I actually prefer using the controller even on PC.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#4JESSE_PlNKMANPosted 9/3/2013 8:57:59 AM
I dunno about Xcom... I had numerous cases of a UI glitch that forced me to Alt-F4 and lose game progress. The menus and stuff just disappears sometimes. Aside from that it's pretty good.

Anyway, I've been playing The Last Remnant on PC and they made quite a few actual design changes to the game. For instance:

- the way the game handles "leveling up" will make enemies harder based only on how many you kill, but your actual stat gains aren't always guaranteed. It's totally possible to grind areas a little bit, only to discover that your level has gone too high and enemies are virtually unbeatable for you. In the PC version this doesn't seem to be an issue, as my level was way beyond what people consider standard yet I had no problem beating most areas (so far anyway - 58 hours so far and I'm only halfway through!).

- speed increase. On the console version characters move really slow and you could almost just start your attack and go to the bathroom for a moment, except there are these random QTEs you can do to increase power or counterattack. This can get annoying when you're just fighting grunts who you can kill without QTEs, so on PC you can turn the battles to double speed and set the QTEs to automatically succeed with a certain probability (which in my experience, leads to more successes than manually waiting for the QTEs anyway).

- Better parties. Basically there are main leader characters with dialogue and character to them, there are minor leader characters that are still pretty good, and then there's a ton of generic grunts. ln the console version you can only have one leader character per group of units, which is lame... in the PC you can (and should!) have a team full of leaders.

- "Make art unavailable" is added to the PC version. Arts are basically special moves such as healing, magic, etc... so you might wonder "why would I want to disable a special move"? Well basically, to make battles involving huge groups of characters manageable you don't select each move for each unit - instead, you are given a somewhat random list of options like "use long-range attacks!" and shown which moves each unit in the group will do, which isn't even guaranteed to occur. So you don't want to miss out on some powerful option in favor of "use useless moves you got in the beginning of the game".

There's some other minor stuff... I think they made rare monster fights harder to compensate for the stronger parties you can make. Overall it's just a way better game on PC.
#5BuburibonPosted 9/3/2013 8:58:05 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...

Indeed, it's good to have options.
---
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB | TITAN
Steam | PSN | XBL: GVAmson23
#6ScroePosted 9/3/2013 8:58:53 AM
I played it on both and load times were the only thing better on PC. Graphics aren't particularly good either way and controller is better than m/kb for that game
---
Don't hinder Jinder
I'm a white girl with nice boobs
#7ThePCElitistPosted 9/3/2013 9:13:18 AM
Pretty much 9/10 times this applies to every multi-platform game. Even the bad ones that require user patches to be fixed are still better than their console versions. Just look at Dark Souls.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#8vidalmorazaPosted 9/3/2013 9:18:41 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...

This, I own the PC version and I liked it more with the Xbox 360 wired controller, is not a game where precision is key....
---
XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC00631.jpg
#9jake-sfPosted 9/3/2013 9:20:55 AM
Jesus christ, what have we been infected with around here.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#10duckluckyPosted 9/3/2013 9:32:58 AM
Good to know; I'm considering getting it.
---
---
PSN: Aiustis, XBL: Aiustis, 3DS: 0533-4718-4217