This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Opinions on the Oculus Rift?

#41SuperemppuPosted 9/4/2013 12:49:26 PM
I'm much more interested in the rift than the next gen systems. I'll most likely buy one when the consumer version gets out and the price is around what they aim for (300ish). I'm most interested in driving and flying sims, but will try it in pretty much everything. Something like skyrim that has properly designed with rift in mind could be absolutely mindblowing.
---
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.
#42Garquille14Posted 9/4/2013 1:08:26 PM
Buy it when I can afford it and after I put together a new computer with 120hz monitor
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#43Garquille14Posted 9/4/2013 1:11:18 PM
Do you even need glasses with it? Seems like you wouldn't need it unless you're longsighted or very very shortsighted.
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#44R i c kPosted 9/4/2013 1:21:00 PM
Garquille14 posted...
Do you even need glasses with it? Seems like you wouldn't need it unless you're longsighted or very very shortsighted.
Short-sightedness is the only thing you probably wouldn't need your glasses to use it. Far-sightedness, astigmatism and presbyopia would likely require corrective lenses while using it.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#45squeeb1985Posted 9/4/2013 2:38:56 PM
Garquille14 posted...

Shortsighted people will need glasses and longsighted people probably won't. From the Oculus Rift FAQ: "With the Oculus Rift, your eyes are actually focused and converged in the distance at all times." I'd imagine that you'd get eye strain really quickly if this wasn't the case.
---
i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz | 6950 2GB | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 840 Pro 256 GB | Win8 Pro 64
GT: Beastwood5
#46R i c kPosted 9/4/2013 3:12:00 PM
squeeb1985 posted...
Shortsighted people will need glasses and longsighted people probably won't. From the Oculus Rift FAQ: "With the Oculus Rift, your eyes are actually focused and converged in the distance at all times." I'd imagine that you'd get eye strain really quickly if this wasn't the case.

Short-sighted and far-sighted depend on the lens shape of the individual eyes, not on how close or far your eyes are focused. Pretty sure it's the other way around, as I said above, since it depends on how close the screens are and now how far your brain perceives the distance to be.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#47squeeb1985Posted 9/4/2013 3:27:16 PM
R i c k posted...
squeeb1985 posted...

Short-sighted and far-sighted depend on the lens shape of the individual eyes, not on how close or far your eyes are focused. Pretty sure it's the other way around, as I said above, since it depends on how close the screens are and now how far your brain perceives the distance to be.

http://oculusrift-blog.com/oculus-rift-now-suitable-for-wizards-and-librarians/539/

"If users have perfect vision (or you wear contacts), their vision inside the Rift will match their vision in real life. They’ll use eye cup set A.
If users are farsighted, they’ll have no vision problems in the Rift because the optics are focused at infinity (which makes their brain think it’s looking at something far away). They’ll also use set A.
If they’re nearsighted, the additional eye cups, B and C, will allow them to see inside the Rift as if they were wearing glasses. Again, this is because the lens cups change the focal distance. If they’re moderately nearsighted, they’ll use set B. If they’re very nearsighted, they’ll use set C."

Unfortunate news for me since I'm nearsighted.
---
i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz | 6950 2GB | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 840 Pro 256 GB | Win8 Pro 64
GT: Beastwood5
#48Panzer_SquidPosted 9/4/2013 3:38:28 PM
If it does well

Then I'll buy a later generation model
---
The Panzer Squid is the ultimate hunter, blending into any environment until it has the opportunity to shove a rocket up urbum
#49Mogu_MoguPosted 9/4/2013 3:39:16 PM
For Star Citizen, day 1 buy.
---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#50ZeraphLordSPosted 9/5/2013 10:44:41 AM
squeeb1985 posted...
R i c k posted...
squeeb1985 posted...

http://oculusrift-blog.com/oculus-rift-now-suitable-for-wizards-and-librarians/539/

"If users have perfect vision (or you wear contacts), their vision inside the Rift will match their vision in real life. They’ll use eye cup set A.
If users are farsighted, they’ll have no vision problems in the Rift because the optics are focused at infinity (which makes their brain think it’s looking at something far away). They’ll also use set A.
If they’re nearsighted, the additional eye cups, B and C, will allow them to see inside the Rift as if they were wearing glasses. Again, this is because the lens cups change the focal distance. If they’re moderately nearsighted, they’ll use set B. If they’re very nearsighted, they’ll use set C."

Unfortunate news for me since I'm nearsighted.

Huh, that's an interesting solution. I really like how onto everything they seem to be. If it has any shortcomings, they won't be technical.

The future is here.
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs