This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microsoft buying Nokia is just...ludicrously stupid.

#1__Cam__Posted 9/3/2013 9:21:11 AM(edited)
MS is buying Nokia because they think that W8 and Windows Phone's low market share is due to hardware, instead of little developer interest.

In 2008, Microsoft bought Danger for $500M, assuming they would break into the smartphone market as a direct iPhone competitor.
In 2012 Microsoft bought aQuantive for $6B, assuming they would help Bing overtake Google.

When is MS going to realize that iOS and Android are too established for other competitors to join in?
---
You're awesome.
#2zxelmanPosted 9/3/2013 9:23:00 AM
Never. They look like the stubborn company.
#3SinisterSlayPosted 9/3/2013 9:29:15 AM
Microsoft never learns.

Any other company in the world would have been out of business long ago.

Some how Microsoft just keeps on going.

The only thing that worries me is if Microsoft did go under, we might get stuck with Macintosh instead on our PC's, and that would truly be horrible.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4__Cam__(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 9:30:05 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Microsoft never learns.

The only thing that worries me is if Microsoft did go under, we might get stuck with Macintosh instead on our PC's, and that would truly be horrible.

Not at all. Developers would just move onto OS X because that's where the market share would be. Hell, you're seeing it now with a lot of game developers making OS X multiplats. Macs aren't that bad.
---
You're awesome.
#5TwinqePosted 9/3/2013 9:40:17 AM
__Cam__ posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Microsoft never learns.

Not at all. Developers would just move onto OS X because that's where the market share would be. Hell, you're seeing it now with a lot of game developers making OS X multiplats. Macs aren't that bad.

You'd be ok with giving up building our own computers? Of course we could always boot Linux, but companies don't seem interested in putting games on it, for the most part.

OSX becoming the dominant OS is not something I would ever welcome.
---
3DS FC: 4511-1880-0614 | Steam: Twinqe
#6__Cam__(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 9:42:30 AM
Twinqe posted...

Conventional desktops are going the way of the dinosaur, as unfortunate as it is. Regardless of the outcome, they're going to end up as niche products sold at higher prices than ever before.

OS X is a perfectly fine OS. I dual boot OS X and Windows 8 (**coughcough**) and I have no qualms with it. If anything, Apple's doing the desktop experience better with OS X Mavericks than Microsoft is with W8.
---
You're awesome.
#7SinisterSlayPosted 9/3/2013 9:44:23 AM
__Cam__ posted...
Twinqe posted...

Conventional desktops are going the way of the dinosaur, as unfortunate as it is. Regardless of the outcome, they're going to end up as niche products sold at higher prices than ever before.

OS X is a perfectly fine OS. I dual boot OS X and Windows 8 (**coughcough**) and I have no qualms with it. If anything, Apple's doing the desktop experience better with OS X Mavericks than Microsoft is with W8.

Didn't know you were able to so easily swap out your video card, add RAM, change your hard drive or motherboard, update drivers, etc. on a Mac

I was under the impression that Apple makes the decision, and you have to follow it no matter what.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8__Cam__(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 9:55:02 AM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
Didn't know you were able to so easily swap out your video card, add RAM, change your hard drive or motherboard, update drivers, etc. on a Mac

I was under the impression that Apple makes the decision, and you have to follow it no matter what.

Although it's a pain, you can swap RAM, HDD/SSD's, update drivers, and even swap out graphics for most models. I have a gaming PC and a Mac Mini from 2011, and ironically the Mac runs stuff like the Adobe Creative Suite much faster.

With that said, the lower default specs don't really mean much, since OS X and most software for it are optimized to run on potatoes. Valve itself stated that the Source engine runs better on OS X than it does Windows.

If hardware's the issue, there's ways you can put OS X on a PC, and in some cases, it's actually less hassle than installing/maintaining a Linux distro.

OS X is pretty damn flexible, too. I have custom themes/icons, I removed most default software with what I want, and I added a bunch of other tweaks.
---
You're awesome.
#9lkhlkhPosted 9/3/2013 9:59:52 AM
apple is overprice crap
---
stop putting me in the same place as you even If you don't like what I love.
#10__Cam__(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 10:03:37 AM
lkhlkh posted...
apple is overprice crap

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/4593901/mysterious-badass-o.gif
---
You're awesome.