This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microsoft buying Nokia is just...ludicrously stupid.

#31SinisterSlayPosted 9/3/2013 12:16:02 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
Thescyy posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
Microsoft is fine based on their Enterprise services alone.
They're not going anywhere.

They make an absolute f*** ton of money off SharePoint and SQL Server alone, not to mention everything else.

The idea that PC's will disappear because of mobile is ludicrous, as far too many people depend upon PC's to do actual work.

Yeah, people here have no idea how much bank they make on their server software. It's still over $500 for Server 2008.

SharePoint Enterprise is like $12k per server, and is typically installed on a minimum of four servers, and for the use of Enterprise features there is an additional CAL license fee of about $200 per user that connects to SharePoint.

I make my living as a SharePoint consultant, so take my word that companies spend an absolute ton on it.

Further proving my point. They keep living on because of past success, unhindered by present day failures.
MS seems to be the only company that can survive with that model.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#32ThescyyPosted 9/3/2013 12:22:07 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
Thescyy posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
Microsoft is fine based on their Enterprise services alone.
They're not going anywhere.

They make an absolute f*** ton of money off SharePoint and SQL Server alone, not to mention everything else.

The idea that PC's will disappear because of mobile is ludicrous, as far too many people depend upon PC's to do actual work.

Yeah, people here have no idea how much bank they make on their server software. It's still over $500 for Server 2008.

SharePoint Enterprise is like $12k per server, and is typically installed on a minimum of four servers, and for the use of Enterprise features there is an additional CAL license fee of about $200 per user that connects to SharePoint.

I make my living as a SharePoint consultant, so take my word that companies spend an absolute ton on it.

Oh I believe you, pretty much everything on the Enterprise side is insanely expensive.
---
| i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | SeaSonic M12II 850 | Fractal design R4 |
#33johnny_payPosted 9/3/2013 12:40:13 PM
actually its pretty smart. they dont get just the hardware, they get access to nokia's patents and maps and the nokia lumia range did really well.
#34InterfusorPosted 9/3/2013 12:40:28 PM
So you are saying they dropped the ballmer?
---
I am not economically viable.
#35steveboblarryPosted 9/3/2013 12:45:06 PM
Interfusor posted...
So you are saying they dropped the ballmer?

Zinger
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#36HELZEROPosted 9/3/2013 12:48:11 PM
ok so it wasn't just me. i thought this deal was dumb too
#37Orestes417Posted 9/3/2013 1:05:06 PM
Of course if you want to be cynical you could say this was all pre planned and Elops purpose at Nokia was to drive them into the ground in preparation for this. God knows he didn't make one good move at the company.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#38AmphaxPosted 9/3/2013 6:06:59 PM
In my opinion Nokia did the right thing by specializing only on Windows Phone instead of becoming (yet another) Android also-ran manufacturer.

My brother got the Nokia Lumia 521 for $129 to use an an offline device (the pretty much identical 520, which came out later, is about $30 cheaper if you want AT&T) and I'm impressed by how decently Windows Phone 8 runs on even a device with low specs. It's very optimized and fluid, and if I hadn't recently bought my iPod Touch I probably would've gone with one of those instead.
---
Amphax, Ampharos with an ax
II Timothy 4:22-The Lord Jesus Christ be with thy spirit. Grace be with you. Amen.