This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has anyone here made a custom PC case from scratch?

#1freezemanPosted 9/3/2013 9:37:42 AM(edited)
I bet people here might have modded some cases before, but I'd like to build one from scratch. Even if it's just super simple in design. My inner zelda nerd is calling me most at the moment, so after spending only a few minutes of thinking about it, something like this could be a good starter project, since it's pretty basic in shape.

The master sword pedestal (or some form of it).
http://zeldawiki.org/images/thumb/d/d0/MasterSword_OoT.png/200px-MasterSword_OoT.png

Obviously, that's kind of ugly still, so I'd try to put some artistic touches to it, but that's the basic idea. I could probably make the triforce symbol itself plexiglass with yellow/gold LED illuminating it. This would just be a starter project, but I think I really want to try it. Just looking for starting advice from anyone who might have done it.

I have a few articles I've found already and one of the biggest things I found was to buy the motherboard plate prebuilt as making it yourself can be tricky.

Basically, just look for any starting advice. Currently, I'm looking for some (hopefully free) modelling software to start trying to model my potential design. EDIT: Downloading "sketchup" now. I'm aware I'll need to have dimensions of all parts for the case, but if there's any "gotchas" I should look out for, I'm all ears!
---
"The car in my battery died??? wtf" - Richie259
#2urtvPosted 9/3/2013 9:50:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WS5ul7p6_c

something like that?
#3freezeman(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 9:53:46 AM
Well, that's a case of Link's body. I was imagining a case of the actual pedestal the sword rests in (doesn't need to have a sword). I figured it would be an easier choice considering it's already box-like.
---
#4GiSS88Posted 9/3/2013 10:00:56 AM
freezeman posted...
Well, that's a case of Link's body. I was imagining a case of the actual pedestal the sword rests in (doesn't need to have a sword). I figured it would be an easier choice considering it's already box-like.

Shouldn't be that difficult, depending on how large you want it and what materials you plan to use. Heat may be an issue without proper ventilation, and placement of parts may be awkward just due to the design (large base, smaller top)
---
PSN: NoJ87
3DS: 3995-6590-2490 *PM if you add me
#5wizardmonPosted 9/3/2013 10:09:27 AM(edited)
I had a friend who made his completely from scratch using metal that he found and cut up, he actually had a small ghetto forge in his basement to melt metal and create parts for his case, unfortunately it was never really completely finished (He planned for custom hand made water cooling and such, but it proved to be too difficult.), but he did have it as a working case to bring to lan parties.

I also can't find a picture of it in it's completed state, so here's a photo I stole from his facebook page: http://i.imgur.com/nFpvErE.jpg
Edit: Just noticed you can see some of the copper tubing he picked up for water cooling coiled in the right of that image
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#6BIGGESTPS3FANPosted 9/3/2013 10:09:03 AM
The video that was posted above of Link was actually made by someone from GameFAQs.
---
Intel i5-3570k | Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 x2 | 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaw X | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Corsair 500R | Corsair HX750 | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 120 GB Intel 520 SSD
#7CC RicersPosted 9/3/2013 10:13:42 AM
wizardmon posted...

I also can't find a picture of it in it's completed state, so here's a photo I stole from his facebook page: http://i.imgur.com/nFpvErE.jpg
Edit: Just noticed you can see some of the copper tubing he picked up for water cooling coiled in the right of that image

That takes me back to my shop classes in high school. We did a lot of sheet metal work and spot welding. I just don't have access to those kinds of resources anymore.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#8freezeman(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 10:21:09 AM
Yeah, luckily for me, my dad has a small shop that has metal cutting, welding supplies, and probably every tool I'll need (for something basic). I've got some ideas on how the inside of the case will be laid out, so I'm trying to model it sketchup (never used modelling software before :( ) to see how it looks.

I don't really want to even worry about making this water-cooling compatible.
---