This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone here with experience painting cases or case parts, need your help.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone here with experience painting cases or case parts, need your help.
2 years ago#1
I'm planning on my first ever case mod with a repaint of some of the case. I have a white Prodigy case with black trim and inner parts, and am only looking to paint some of the trim to blue, not paint the whole case.

The front panel has a black plastic bezel trim, but some of the exterior has a bit of a rubbery feel. Most of the interior parts I'm painting will be plastic as well.

I'm planning to go to a Blick art store and getting some acrylic paints, but are these actually good with most of the plastic parts that PC cases have? I have done hobby plastic models a long time ago with these kinds of paints. Do I need primer in any case? The black parts are going to be repainted blue.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
2 years ago#2
Personally, what I'd do is painters tape off everything you don't want to paint (If you are painting just the bezel or a specific part of the case and it's removable, then remove it for painting.) then spray paint a few layers onto it so it's a perfectly smooth coating without any awful brush-marks or blemishes.

I once painted a removable motherboard tray with white spray paint with this method and it looked perfect.

I've no idea if this method is best for that material you are painting onto, as I was only spraying on bare unfinished steel when I did this.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
2 years ago#3
I'd use something like plastic primer first to make sure the acrylic doesn't peel off the surface over time.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
2 years ago#4
wizardmon posted...
Personally, what I'd do is painters tape off everything you don't want to paint (If you are painting just the bezel or a specific part of the case and it's removable, then remove it for painting.) then spray paint a few layers onto it so it's a perfectly smooth coating without any awful brush-marks or blemishes.

I once painted a removable motherboard tray with white spray paint with this method and it looked perfect.

I've no idea if this method is best for that material you are painting onto, as I was only spraying on bare unfinished steel when I did this.

I might do spray paint and do it outside though spray paint cans are hard to find in the city >_> Did you apply primer first? Is it totally necessary for plastic parts?

The biggest piece I'm going to paint is the front panel and it's a Bitfenix Prodigy so it's not that big of a panel. The white piece comes off unscrewed so it's pretty easy to isolate the parts I'll paint, might not even need the tape.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
2 years ago#5
Use something like Krylon Fusion for plastic and make sure to spray it in many very thin layers. Basically just mist the part, let it dry for a few seconds then repeat until it's complete. You will get a very smooth finish with no drips/marks when it's done drying (HINT: it takes a lot longer to dry then you would think, even though you can touch it after 30 minutes and it feels dry, it's not done yet).
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
2 years ago#6
Edit: What he said too^

CC Ricers posted...
I might do spray paint and do it outside though spray paint cans are hard to find in the city >_> Did you apply primer first? Is it totally necessary for plastic parts?

I'm not knowledgeable in that field more than what I've said, I'd honestly Google/youtube it or ask a employee at Lowes/HomeDepot/Menards about spraypainting plastics before you attempt it.

It's been a long time since I've done that, but I don't remember using primer - just doing three even coats once every few hours outside the back of my house on a large cardboard box (so I wouldn't spray the grass)
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
2 years ago#7
You only need primer if it's bare metal or in some cases if it's a really dark colour and you were going to a lighter one, I may give it a couple light coats.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone here with experience painting cases or case parts, need your help.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived