This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone here with experience painting cases or case parts, need your help.

#1CC RicersPosted 9/3/2013 10:39:29 AM
I'm planning on my first ever case mod with a repaint of some of the case. I have a white Prodigy case with black trim and inner parts, and am only looking to paint some of the trim to blue, not paint the whole case.

The front panel has a black plastic bezel trim, but some of the exterior has a bit of a rubbery feel. Most of the interior parts I'm painting will be plastic as well.

I'm planning to go to a Blick art store and getting some acrylic paints, but are these actually good with most of the plastic parts that PC cases have? I have done hobby plastic models a long time ago with these kinds of paints. Do I need primer in any case? The black parts are going to be repainted blue.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#2wizardmonPosted 9/3/2013 10:48:32 AM
Personally, what I'd do is painters tape off everything you don't want to paint (If you are painting just the bezel or a specific part of the case and it's removable, then remove it for painting.) then spray paint a few layers onto it so it's a perfectly smooth coating without any awful brush-marks or blemishes.

I once painted a removable motherboard tray with white spray paint with this method and it looked perfect.

I've no idea if this method is best for that material you are painting onto, as I was only spraying on bare unfinished steel when I did this.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#3ein311Posted 9/3/2013 10:57:28 AM
I'd use something like plastic primer first to make sure the acrylic doesn't peel off the surface over time.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#4CC Ricers(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 11:32:55 AM
wizardmon posted...
Personally, what I'd do is painters tape off everything you don't want to paint (If you are painting just the bezel or a specific part of the case and it's removable, then remove it for painting.) then spray paint a few layers onto it so it's a perfectly smooth coating without any awful brush-marks or blemishes.

I once painted a removable motherboard tray with white spray paint with this method and it looked perfect.

I've no idea if this method is best for that material you are painting onto, as I was only spraying on bare unfinished steel when I did this.

I might do spray paint and do it outside though spray paint cans are hard to find in the city >_> Did you apply primer first? Is it totally necessary for plastic parts?

The biggest piece I'm going to paint is the front panel and it's a Bitfenix Prodigy so it's not that big of a panel. The white piece comes off unscrewed so it's pretty easy to isolate the parts I'll paint, might not even need the tape.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#5zerodefectPosted 9/3/2013 1:49:20 PM
Use something like Krylon Fusion for plastic and make sure to spray it in many very thin layers. Basically just mist the part, let it dry for a few seconds then repeat until it's complete. You will get a very smooth finish with no drips/marks when it's done drying (HINT: it takes a lot longer to dry then you would think, even though you can touch it after 30 minutes and it feels dry, it's not done yet).
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
#6wizardmonPosted 9/3/2013 1:55:13 PM(edited)
Edit: What he said too^

CC Ricers posted...
I might do spray paint and do it outside though spray paint cans are hard to find in the city >_> Did you apply primer first? Is it totally necessary for plastic parts?

I'm not knowledgeable in that field more than what I've said, I'd honestly Google/youtube it or ask a employee at Lowes/HomeDepot/Menards about spraypainting plastics before you attempt it.

It's been a long time since I've done that, but I don't remember using primer - just doing three even coats once every few hours outside the back of my house on a large cardboard box (so I wouldn't spray the grass)
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#7Digital StormPosted 9/3/2013 2:12:01 PM
You only need primer if it's bare metal or in some cases if it's a really dark colour and you were going to a lighter one, I may give it a couple light coats.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.