This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

NEED HELP! - How to un-allocate Shared Video Memory

#1VashXPosted 9/3/2013 1:37:47 PM
I am setting up Dell E6540 Laptops for my company that have 8GB of Ram and a 2GB dedicated AMD video card. The image we are loading is 32bit windows 7. Windows 7 automatically allocates 1GB of ram for the GPU, which gives us a total of 3GB of video memory (2GB dedicated from the AMD GPU, and 1GB shared going to the on Board GPU most likely). In the bios there is no way to change the allocation amount, but I was curious if anyone knew of, or could help me locate, a way to force the allocation to be a lower amount (128mb would be preferred).

So far I have had no luck with this, but my search only recently started. Without this fix, it leaves employees with only 2.4gb of Ram in an 8GB machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
---
3DS friend code: 2105-8909-8037
PSN: Gdawgtuk - XBLive: Gdawgtuk & R0ff13
#2ShubPosted 9/3/2013 1:43:34 PM
There's no way you can use a 64-bit image? :(
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3fataliPosted 9/3/2013 1:49:47 PM
The problem is that you are using 32 bit windows with 8 GB of RAM.

You could try to disable the embedded video card and just leave the discrete video.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#4VashX(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 2:04:10 PM
Shub posted...
There's no way you can use a 64-bit image? :(

That would be way too easy and make way too much sense lol. Sadly, our custom program only works on 32bit so we are forced to work around it. :'(

fatali posted...
The problem is that you are using 32 bit windows with 8 GB of RAM.

You could try to disable the embedded video card and just leave the discrete video.

Dell has by far the worst BIOs I have ever seen. They don't allow any method to force the use of IGP over the Dedicated GPU.....what-so-ever. It's making life difficult.

I read about enabling/disabling "PAE." I'm not terribly familiar with what that does however. I have seen claims of enabling more than 4gb of ram in 32bit Windows 7 but I am not clear on exactly what it entails or if it works the way it should with programs. I wonder if I can't allocate less memory, if I could just make windows read more of what is there (without x64 sadly...)?
---
#5zerodefectPosted 9/3/2013 3:00:25 PM
PAE allows a 32bit application to address additional amounts of memory over the 32bit limit. It will not help you in this situation unless your "custom" application was programmed to take advantage of PAE (and it is enabled on the OS). It is not something that happens automatically.
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
#6VashX(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 5:34:37 PM
zerodefect posted...
PAE allows a 32bit application to address additional amounts of memory over the 32bit limit. It will not help you in this situation unless your "custom" application was programmed to take advantage of PAE (and it is enabled on the OS). It is not something that happens automatically.

Thanks for the clarification. So that option won't change anything for the better. Any ideas at all on a way to manually allocate the Ram? If Windows is the entity that automatically does this, then software should be able to change software. At least that's the hope and dream...
---
#7zerodefectPosted 9/3/2013 6:16:18 PM
VashX posted...
zerodefect posted...

Thanks for the clarification. So that option won't change anything for the better. Any ideas at all on a way to manually allocate the Ram? If Windows is the entity that automatically does this, then software should be able to change software. At least that's the hope and dream...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg487512.aspx
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
#8Davel23Posted 9/3/2013 7:04:07 PM
I'd install 64-bit Windows and look into XP mode for your app.
---
Your mom's box.
#9VashX(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 1:20:39 PM
Davel23 posted...

Tested this idea. Sadly there were still far too many issues with the application when running on a x64 bit system. Even in compatibility mode.
---
#10Davel23Posted 9/4/2013 1:33:40 PM
VashX posted...
Davel23 posted...

Tested this idea. Sadly there were still far too many issues with the application when running on a x64 bit system. Even in compatibility mode.

Not compatibility mode. XP mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode
---
Your mom's box.