This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Parts of SOPA is back

#21O_Town_RulezPosted 9/4/2013 8:03:35 AM
Monkeymage posted...
Honestly I don't care too much about whether or not "youtubers" are able to stream footage of games for free. They make their living from using copyrighted materials as they please, they pay nothing, so honestly, why should that be allowed? Pewdiepie is literally a millionaire and he doesn't have to pay for anything other than the initial cost of whatever game he's streaming, and who's to say he even did that?

If you buy a pre built computer from HP, can you use that computer for a business? It's not "your" computer to make money off of, according to your logic. If you land a huge account using that computer, does HP have the right to call the cops on you because you used THEIR system to make money?? NO! Because it isn't their system the moment you put the money into the hands of the retailer you bought it from. That's the same with games today. They're YOUR games, if you can make money off of them, then that's your right. It's not against the law to stream a game because when you play a game, it's different every time. The way you jump, the way you move the character, that's all you.

Anyone on YouTube who does LP's adds something to the game (Except for the people that suck at it). They get paid, and rightfully so. They spend most of their time in video editing, commentating the video, etc.
---
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Orlando Magic - Off-Season
#22lionheart5656Posted 9/4/2013 8:29:35 AM
O_Town_Rulez posted...
Monkeymage posted...
Honestly I don't care too much about whether or not "youtubers" are able to stream footage of games for free. They make their living from using copyrighted materials as they please, they pay nothing, so honestly, why should that be allowed? Pewdiepie is literally a millionaire and he doesn't have to pay for anything other than the initial cost of whatever game he's streaming, and who's to say he even did that?

If you buy a pre built computer from HP, can you use that computer for a business? It's not "your" computer to make money off of, according to your logic. If you land a huge account using that computer, does HP have the right to call the cops on you because you used THEIR system to make money?? NO! Because it isn't their system the moment you put the money into the hands of the retailer you bought it from. That's the same with games today. They're YOUR games, if you can make money off of them, then that's your right. It's not against the law to stream a game because when you play a game, it's different every time. The way you jump, the way you move the character, that's all you.

Anyone on YouTube who does LP's adds something to the game (Except for the people that suck at it). They get paid, and rightfully so. They spend most of their time in video editing, commentating the video, etc.

Actually when you buy a game, all you buy is a license to that game. You don't own anything. Same goes with music and movies. That's why you can only play the PS3 version if you buy it but not the 360 version without buying it again.

While I think that's wrong, that's currently how the system is run.

Which is why so many of you look dumb when you post.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#23O_Town_RulezPosted 9/4/2013 9:10:08 AM
lionheart5656 posted...
O_Town_Rulez posted...
Monkeymage posted...

Actually when you buy a game, all you buy is a license to that game. You don't own anything. Same goes with music and movies. That's why you can only play the PS3 version if you buy it but not the 360 version without buying it again.

When you buy anything PHYSICAL, then that is yours to do whatever you want with. This is not digital download we are talking about.
---
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Orlando Magic - Off-Season
#24Son Of SpamPosted 9/4/2013 9:24:02 AM
Okay, so two elephants are sitting in their living room. The first elephant is watching a movie.

The second elephant said "How are you watching that movie? It's still in theaters."

The first elephant replied "No SOPA, radio!"
#25CC RicersPosted 9/4/2013 9:30:25 AM
lionheart5656 posted...

Games are interactive, but recordings of playthroughs aren't. What you are recording is your experience. That, and your video, belongs to you. You are not enabling someone to play the game for free.

Now... there are some rare exceptions where a developer has raised a legitimate concern for recording games, and it's mostly from recording adventure games that are little more than interactive novels. If someone records a 100% playthrough of such games, the viewers will be getting basically everything out of the game.

Still, I don't favor a blanket law saying all copyright holders will have the same draconian protections.

I believe it should be left entirely up to the creators, the copyright holders, to make the laws how people could use their content. Let every developer write their own Terms & Conditions on acceptable uses of the game, and let the courts interpret that. Then the consumers decide with their wallets what is deemed acceptable T&C and what isn't.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#26runromPosted 9/4/2013 9:49:32 AM
Then the consumers decide with their wallets what is deemed acceptable T&C and what isn't.

But even when some don't accept the T&C, they still pirate :p
I'm kidding though, but I find it funny that the whole "decide with one's wallet" doesn't work entirely for digital goods, namely because it is at no cost to someone to try and get a version that isn't authorized through a proper or legitimate source.

I do agree with you that both creators of a work and consumers should have certain rights. For example, I believe that consumers should be entitled to a full refund should a bit of software fail to run. I believe that creators of a work should exercise the law against uploaders, not downloaders, of a copyrighted work that they own.
---
MBP 2009 | Intel i5 3570k + Powercolor 7870 Myst | HP Touchpad 32gb CM9 | MyTouch4g running 4.1
Now part of the 500 posts club.
#27MonkeymagePosted 9/4/2013 10:22:05 AM
O_Town_Rulez posted...
If you buy a pre built computer from HP, can you use that computer for a business? It's not "your" computer to make money off of, according to your logic. If you land a huge account using that computer, does HP have the right to call the cops on you because you used THEIR system to make money?? NO! Because it isn't their system the moment you put the money into the hands of the retailer you bought it from.

It's not the same thing, There is a difference between a machine that for all intents and purposes is supposed to be used for productivity purposes, versus a piece of intellectual property that is meant to be used/viewed/consumed by one person / family / circle of friends.

That's the same with games today. They're YOUR games, if you can make money off of them, then that's your right.

No. This is absolutely wrong. There is a reason that there is a warning against attempting to charge money to allow people to view a movie or listen to music or whatever that you purchased. Intellectual property laws prevent this; you must specifically purchase a license for each piece of content to attempt to make money off activities like this. This is how movie theaters work. This law is not saying that "Let's Play" videos can never be made again, but rather that the content creators/distributors should be due their share of the proceeds because they created the property from which you are benefitting.

It's not against the law to stream a game because when you play a game, it's different every time. The way you jump, the way you move the character, that's all you.

MST3K purchased a license for every single movie they lampooned even though watching a movie via MST3K is a substantially different experience than watching it without the commentary, why is it different for games?
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#28lionheart5656Posted 9/4/2013 10:35:39 AM
O_Town_Rulez posted...
lionheart5656 posted...
O_Town_Rulez posted...
Monkeymage posted...

When you buy anything PHYSICAL, then that is yours to do whatever you want with. This is not digital download we are talking about.

No which is why again you continue to look dumb.

The only thing that belongs to you is the physical disc. The data on the disc is given to you based on a license. You do not own the software. Claiming you do is enough to get you sued.

It doesn't matter how many times you post that you own it. That doesn't make it so.

If you don't like it, you can stop *****ing on the internet and get off your ass to do something about it instead of being a keyboard warrior who fights with 0 knowledge.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#29JKatarnPosted 9/4/2013 2:02:00 PM
blueheart100 posted...
@ lol TimePharaoh Lol sorry about that. No I'm an American. I have a disablity so some times it's hard to write. As for why I care, I watch many guys like TotalBiscut, Angryjoe, etc who who do stream parts of video games for reviews and such. If this passes, they would lose their jobs and we wouldn't be able to stream video games on YouTube anymore. Nevertheless, my main reason is that I believe that the internet should not be regulated by the government. They do not understand how it works and/ or they want to control us for a number of reasons. This why it is so important to keep the net free.

While I don't agree with this legislation, if you're depending on Youtube ad revenue exclusively for your livelihood, you're on shaky ground to begin with.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#30JKatarnPosted 9/4/2013 2:04:25 PM
O_Town_Rulez posted...
lionheart5656 posted...
O_Town_Rulez posted...
Monkeymage posted...

No it is not yours to do "whatever you want with it", you are licensed to use that copy of the game on the platform you purchased it for, and you technically don't own it - you license the game, and own the media (box, manual, disc etc.). Not that I agree with this necessarily, but read a software license sometime.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES