This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Install Windows 7 on Macbook Pro or sell it for a new Windows PC?

#1poopfeasts420Posted 9/3/2013 9:28:28 PM(edited)
Hey guys I just need some opinions on the matter. I have an early 2011 15" baseline model Macbook Pro that I pretty much only use for college and web browsing. The battery doesn't last much longer than 2 hours anymore and it crashes/freezes on me every 2 weeks or so which is something that's always on my mind during class. I was also thinking of installing Windows 7 so I could play Skyrim natively (played a cider port that was very laggy)

I was thinking of just keeping this laptop and risk having it freeze in class (happened twice already) or just sell it for a new Windows laptop which I've been meaning to do for a while but only recently got the money to do so. I'm not looking for a gaming laptop exactly just something fairly portable that i can take to college with a pretty good battery life and can run Skyrim on Medium at a smooth frame rate. I don't really plan on playing any other games so amazing performance isn't a priority here so please don't recommend desktops here. Budget is whatever as long as it suits my needs. But if my MBP could run Skyrim decently then I'll just run Windows 7 on it until it dies on me.

Specs:
Intel Core i7 2GHz
4GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz
AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256mb VRAM
---
I AM DAVE EXCLAMATION MARK YOGNAUGHT
#2LaMichael_JamesPosted 9/3/2013 9:31:06 PM
do you already have a retail copy of win7? if you still have freezing problems on win7 through bootcamp then you might have a hardware issue
---
GOAT
#3poopfeasts420(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 9:32:39 PM
LaMichael_James posted...
do you already have a retail copy of win7? if you still have freezing problems on win7 through bootcamp then you might have a hardware issue

I haven't bought Windows 7 yet. But the freezing started once I upgraded to Mountain Lion so I'm assuming that's the reason.
---
#4Freakwave003Posted 9/3/2013 9:53:13 PM
lol, i have that exact same macbook pro model. same year and same specs (though i upgraded ram to 8gb). i also use bootcamp to run windows 7 for some light gaming. have you tried going to the Apple Store to have them check it out?
---
i7 3770K @ 4.4 GHz | GA-Z77-D3H | Hyper 212 EVO | 16GB HyperX Beast | ASUS GTX 770 | Intel 520 SSD | Seasonic 660x Platinum | Corsair 500r
#5poopfeasts420(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 10:02:23 PM(edited)
Freakwave003 posted...
lol, i have that exact same macbook pro model. same year and same specs (though i upgraded ram to 8gb). i also use bootcamp to run windows 7 for some light gaming. have you tried going to the Apple Store to have them check it out?

I did actually. They said they didn't find anything but it still freezes from time to time. What kind of games do you play on yours and how well do they run? I want to have an idea so I know if it's worth getting Windows 7.
---
#6poopfeasts420(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 10:01:04 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7Freakwave003Posted 9/3/2013 10:03:57 PM
I usually play some short indie games since I just use it when I'm bored and on the go. I've never really tried to see how far I could take it. The cpu is good enough though. Games would probably be brought down by the graphics card.

Have you tried doing a fresh install of Mountain Lion? Because it may or may not be your hard drive failing.
---
i7 3770K @ 4.4 GHz | GA-Z77-D3H | Hyper 212 EVO | 16GB HyperX Beast | ASUS GTX 770 | Intel 520 SSD | Seasonic 660x Platinum | Corsair 500r
#8poopfeasts420(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 10:12:15 PM
Freakwave003 posted...
I usually play some short indie games since I just use it when I'm bored and on the go. I've never really tried to see how far I could take it. The cpu is good enough though. Games would probably be brought down by the graphics card.

Have you tried doing a fresh install of Mountain Lion? Because it may or may not be your hard drive failing.

I'll try the fresh install thank you! So based on my specs would you say I'd be able to run Skyrim on low smoothly?
---
#9Freakwave003Posted 9/3/2013 10:16:48 PM
Possibly. May low settings and getting 30fps
---
#10poopfeasts420(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 10:27:20 PM
Freakwave003 posted...
Possibly. May low settings and getting 30fps

Hmm sounds decent enough then. I'll probably hold off on getting a new laptop then thank you!
---