This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My 4930K is here!

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My 4930K is here!
2 years ago#1
My 4930K finally arrived today. I need to take some time doing final minute back ups before I put together my new PC, but soon I'll be able to play around with my new CPU. I'm looking forward to see how well I can overclock this thing.

http://i.imgur.com/Jx0VYxk.jpg
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
2 years ago#2
4930K is not designed to be over-clocked. Even it's design was change, which moves away from OC.
It's too small to keep cool properly with current cooling methods.

For reference, Haswells running at 3.9 are suppose to match OC's at 4.5 in performance.

The best OC is the 2500, which I've read people pushed to around 6-7.0ish with some extremely expensive cooling.
---
'The Intel i7-3770 if you're rich, the i5 2500K, i53570 or i53570k if you're doing okay, the AMD A10-5800K or i3 if you're just about hanging in there.'
2 years ago#3
Even so, I'm looking forward to messing around with it a bit.
---
2 years ago#4
Vindication123 posted...
4930K is not designed to be over-clocked. Even it's design was change, which moves away from OC.

For reference, Haswells running at 3.9 are suppose to match OC's at 4.5 in performance.

The best OC is the 2500, which I've read people pushed to around 6-7.0ish with some extremely expensive cooling.

Why are we talking about Haswell? The 4930K is an Ivy Bridge-E CPU. It overclocks fine.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
2 years ago#5
I guess it came out today? I got to order mine now. But which motherboard should I get?
---
i7-930@3.5GHz l Asus P6X58D-E l EVGA SC Titan l 12gb Dominator l AX850 PSU l H100i l 6Tb 7,200 rpm l 256gb Samsung Pro I BD Drive l 900D I Alienware Optx
2 years ago#6
LiQuiDsWorDs56 posted...
which motherboard should I get?

My prediction is that you're going to have the same problem with any X79 motherboard: they require a BIOS update in order to support the new CPUs, and it's likely that none of the current stock has the correct BIOS version, so until that stock is depleted, any motherboard you order may well not work with an Ivy Bridge-E CPU, so you would need a Sandy Bridge-E CPU to start the computer, flash the BIOS, remove the SB-E and install the IB-E instead.
But I haven't read any discussions on that topic yet, so perhaps I'm wrong.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
2 years ago#7
Vindication123 posted...

A fully unlocked processor with a soldered IHS is not meant to be overclocked. Please go on and tell us how you know better than Intel engineers.

LiQuiDsWorDs56 posted...
I guess it came out today? I got to order mine now. But which motherboard should I get?

ASUS RIVE
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
2 years ago#8
Shub posted...
LiQuiDsWorDs56 posted...
which motherboard should I get?

My prediction is that you're going to have the same problem with any X79 motherboard: they require a BIOS update in order to support the new CPUs, and it's likely that none of the current stock has the correct BIOS version, so until that stock is depleted, any motherboard you order may well not work with an Ivy Bridge-E CPU, so you would need a Sandy Bridge-E CPU to start the computer, flash the BIOS, remove the SB-E and install the IB-E instead.
But I haven't read any discussions on that topic yet, so perhaps I'm wrong.

I know some Asus boards have a cool feature where you don't need a CPU to update the BIOS. You just need PSU power and a flash drive. Well, I'm off to put everything together now.
---
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My 4930K is here!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived