This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I upgrade a laptops CPU?

#1twiztidfreak6t9Posted 9/4/2013 8:44:52 AM
My specs are in my sig, and I see that this http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-3940XM%20Mobile%20Extreme%20Edition.html as I'm seeing on the CPU-Z app is compatible with the motherboard "Socket 988B rPGA"......Am I able to upgrade the CPU to this?Also am I able to buy BD-Rom drive & replace the DVD-RW with it too?
---
AlienWare M14x R2 6111BK/Intel Core i5-3210M/8 GB DDR3 RAM/500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive/2GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT 650M
#2ShubPosted 9/4/2013 8:53:54 AM
If your BIOS supports it and the existing package does not use a ball grid array (i.e. it's not soldered to the motherboard), then it should be a simple matter of removing the old CPU and installing the new one... however, the i5-3210M has a 35W TDP while the i7-3940XM is 55W, so the cooling equipment of the laptop may not be able to cool the i7-3940XM adequately.
The i7-3940XM is a terrible value anyway...
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 9/4/2013 8:55:32 AM
Typically no. The highest end Sagers and Alienwares sometimes have this as a possibility but even in them its rare. Its much more common to upgrade a laptop gpu.

I wouldnt bother. Especially with an m14x. The price wont be worth it even in the unlikely event you can.
---
i5 4670k| 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3| EVGA GTX 780|Alienware m17x
http://i.imgur.com/j8vZrBQ.jpg
#4GTRagnarokPosted 9/4/2013 9:11:20 AM
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Its much more common to upgrade a laptop gpu.

Er, not true at all. It's the other way around. Outside of Ultrabooks, it's common for a laptop to have the CPU be replaceable but not the GPU, except for in customizable gaming laptops. Most of your cheap, everyday laptop will have a removable bottom panel that will expose the RAM slots and CPU socket.

As for the TC's case, upgrading to a quad core CPU might be worthwhile only if you plan on doing anything CPU intensive. Games are probably going to be limited by that GPU in all cases. An Extreme series CPU is a big waste of money though.
---
M17x R4 | i7-3720QM | 2GB 7970M | 16GB DDR3 1600 | 128GB Samsung PM830 mSATA SSD |
#5_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 9/4/2013 10:26:14 AM
GTRagnarok posted...
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Its much more common to upgrade a laptop gpu.

Er, not true at all. It's the other way around. Outside of Ultrabooks, it's common for a laptop to have the CPU be replaceable but not the GPU, except for in customizable gaming laptops. Most of your cheap, everyday laptop will have a removable bottom panel that will expose the RAM slots and CPU socket.

As for the TC's case, upgrading to a quad core CPU might be worthwhile only if you plan on doing anything CPU intensive. Games are probably going to be limited by that GPU in all cases. An Extreme series CPU is a big waste of money though.

I guess I learn something new everyday. I always thought it was much easier to upgrade a laptop GPU than the CPU.
---
i5 4670k| 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3| EVGA GTX 780|Alienware m17x
http://i.imgur.com/j8vZrBQ.jpg