This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If I had to play maybe three traditional roguelikes, what are they?

#1TastyKittyMMMMPosted 9/4/2013 11:59:21 AM
I have no idea why, but the concept of Brogue has always fascinated me. That leaves me two more games. Right now, I'm considering Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Nethack (is this one too hard for a newbie?), Angband (ditto, plus there seem to be SO many variations of Angband compared to other roguelikes so I wouldn't know which one to choose), Powder, Tales of Maj'Eyal, and maybe DoomRL.

Also, I don't want any recommendations for Dwarf Fortress. Not only because it seems too complex compared even to roguelikes, but also because from what I've gathered it's closer to a city management game than a game with an end goal.
#2ElDudorinoPosted 9/4/2013 12:07:11 PM(edited)
Hack and Larn. Start with larn because it's easier.
#3UberLurkerPosted 9/4/2013 12:10:51 PM
NetHack is quite good IMHO and represents the roguelike genre very well.

You just have to constantly stay on your toes as the game punishes carelessness... usually severely.
#4RPGMattPosted 9/4/2013 1:19:03 PM
Play Nethack, dude. It's amazing how thorough the developers were. For example, if you polymorph into a monster that is a metallivore, you can eat your magic rings and gain their effects permanently.

One time, I got so powerful that I could walk around in lava and regenerate health faster than it hurt me, but when I was surrounded by monsters for awhile, I sank into it and suffocated instead.
---
http://www.facebook.com/chaosframe
#5Davel23Posted 9/4/2013 6:21:57 PM(edited)
Nethack has become the epitome of the Roguelike genre. I'd say we should start to call them Nethacklikes.
---
Your mom's box.
#6TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 10:01:17 AM
I started playing the *original* Rogue. Decided, what the hell. If I wanna get familiar with a genre, let's learn its roots. I'm using the last release that was supervised by the original creator (according to the website where I downloaded it, anyhow)

And... it's not nearly as obtuse or unplayable as I'd expected. Once you get over the graphics (very easy to do imo), the user interface is actually very intuitive. Or maybe I'm playing it wrong and think it's intuitive when it's not. But with the reputation this genre has, you think I'd be having a harder time with the interface. My greatest difficulty so far is my own stupidity in thinking I can fight a centaur without healing in between.
#7happyscrub1Posted 9/5/2013 10:03:15 AM
TastyKittyMMMM posted...
I started playing the *original* Rogue. Decided, what the hell. If I wanna get familiar with a genre,.

That's what all the Dota players want people to do. They are still waiting lol.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#8Binba442Posted 9/5/2013 10:09:42 AM
Try Dungeons of Dreadmor, the price is really low anyway, lower when on Sale, It's traditional in style, but it came out in '11. It's really rougey, now that I think about it, and there is an end goal: Descend the 10 floors of randomly generated goodness, then beat Dreadmor, master of the dungeon, 3 packs of DLC (One is free, the others are very cheap, especially when on sale) adds 5 more levels, or extra items and trees.

It's sort of Turn/grid based, but it might as well be real time. The battles are not slow, unless you have 20+ Enemies coming on to you. For 5$, you can't go wrong, but I suggest you see some videos on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyTfUnnxZV4

http://dungeonsofdredmor.com/#buy-starter
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#9TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 10:11:22 AM
happyscrub1 posted...
TastyKittyMMMM posted...
I started playing the *original* Rogue. Decided, what the hell. If I wanna get familiar with a genre,.

That's what all the Dota players want people to do. They are still waiting lol.

what does Rogue have to do with Dota I'm confused
#10IronSasquatchPosted 9/5/2013 10:24:03 AM
Risk of Rain is a really fun roguelike that is nearing full release. You can buy into the beta right now and it has quite a bit of content though. I highly recommend it.
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.