This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help with my C++ assignment please?

#11LaMichael_JamesPosted 9/4/2013 2:42:49 PM
i don't think i learned proc threads until my junior year and i went to a decent school

wtf man
---
GOAT
#12KidInTheHallPosted 9/4/2013 2:44:29 PM
JESSE_PlNKMAN posted...
It says

"Write a parallel memory allocator that uses thread-local binned free lists to provide appropriate-size blocks via malloc."

Where do I even begin?

What's the matter ? Too busy betraying the closet thing to a father figure you've ever had that you can't pay attention in class?

Maybe Hank will help you with your homework.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#13steveboblarryPosted 9/4/2013 2:47:54 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#14SomeMacGuyPosted 9/4/2013 2:50:08 PM(edited)
This is the intro to programming 101 class at my local community college. Our malloc implementation is due by friday. HLEP!!

are you sure you didn't registered for cs300 by mistake?
#15Ha_D00DPosted 9/4/2013 2:54:07 PM
#16KidInTheHallPosted 9/4/2013 3:15:30 PM
#17leon_trunksPosted 9/4/2013 7:30:06 PM
ae yo, It's Jesse Pinkman b****. Trying some of that computer s***.

Why donchu call Skinny Pete. I'm sure he can help you out
---
Sketch Blog - paperuni.blogspot.com
#18capgamerPosted 9/4/2013 8:18:28 PM
I did 3 terms of C++ and never had to do something like this. I have no idea what a "binned free list" would be.

I looked it up and it sounds like a linked list of free space which you un-link an element to use memory and then re-link to free memory up again or something. No clue what "binned" means though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_list
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#19JESSE_PlNKMAN(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 8:37:18 PM
capgamer posted...
I did 3 terms of C++ and never had to do something like this. I have no idea what a "binned free list" would be.

I looked it up and it sounds like a linked list of free space which you un-link an element to use memory and then re-link to free memory up again or something. No clue what "binned" means though:

Alright, ruse over. This was a parody topic based on something I actually did at school, just wanted to see if anyone had any idea how to even do this. Basically:

So a free list of blocks is nice when a program only ever wants to allocate X bytes of memory at a time. Of course this is unrealistic - perhaps they need 20 one time and 2000 elsewhere. So instead of having a single list, you have several "bins", i.e. an array of pointers where each element represents a linked list of blocks. Bins[0] holds blocks of size 2^0, Bins[1] blocks of size 2, Bins[2] = 4, and so forth. This strategy works pretty well for allocating and re-allocating blocks.
#20steveboblarryPosted 9/4/2013 8:41:59 PM
JESSE_PlNKMAN posted...
capgamer posted...

Alright, ruse over. This was a parody topic based on something I actually did at school, just wanted to see if anyone had any idea how to even do this. Basically:

So a free list of blocks is nice when a program only ever wants to allocate X bytes of memory at a time. Of course this is unrealistic - perhaps they need 20 one time and 2000 elsewhere. So instead of having a single list, you have several "bins", i.e. an array of pointers where each element represents a linked list of blocks. Bins[0] holds blocks of size 2^0, Bins[1] blocks of size 2, Bins[2] = 4, and so forth. This strategy works pretty well for allocating and re-allocating blocks.

pinkman you need to lay off the blue meth
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy