This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

With 8th Gen Consoles, are games still considered being "Ported" to and from PCs

#11daemon_danPosted 9/4/2013 4:16:41 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
daemon_dan posted...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox#Xbox

Scroll down to where it says processor, on the comparison. Pay very close attention to the CPU on the original Xbox

I see that now, and I thought you were referring to the 360 which isn't being referenced as an X86 core.
Thank you for the info.

Nah, with their dumb ass nomenclature I call them
Xbox
Xbone
;3
And no problem. Just cause it's the same architecture, even using the same API as PCs, DirectX (Xbox is actually a shortening of DirectX Box, which was the original name of the Xbox) doesn't mean that it will be well ported
---
"Asgaard's always been my home! But I'm of different blood.
I will overthrow their throne! Deceiver of the Gods!."
#12Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 5:02:10 PM
daemon_dan posted...
Marblesbunbun posted...
daemon_dan posted...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox#Xbox

Scroll down to where it says processor, on the comparison. Pay very close attention to the CPU on the original Xbox

I see that now, and I thought you were referring to the 360 which isn't being referenced as an X86 core.
Thank you for the info.

Nah, with their dumb ass nomenclature I call them
Xbox
Xbone
;3
And no problem. Just cause it's the same architecture, even using the same API as PCs, DirectX (Xbox is actually a shortening of DirectX Box, which was the original name of the Xbox) doesn't mean that it will be well ported

True true, but I was mainly refering to 7th gen which is when most ports/cross platforms became notorious
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#13BogePosted 9/5/2013 9:13:04 AM
I think performance should be much closer than ports from the past. I think gamepads will still hold back the superior mouse and keyboard controls. Menus and motion will be designed with gamepads in mind and poorly ported to the PC much like Borderlands and Skyrim. I still think PC gaming will suffer a bit because of consoles.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#14Metal_Gear_LinkPosted 9/5/2013 9:20:43 AM
JKatarn posted...
In 6 months - a year max after the consoles release, the average gaming PC will likely be more powerful where pure specs are concerned (one could argue the average gaming PC with its more powerful Core i5/i7 vs the Jaguar variant in the consoles is more powerful now), so (eventually) porting will involve taking advantage of the added power of the PC. It's natural given the fact that consoles are static and PC tech is continually evolving.

If that was the case, then how come all popular PC games like LOL, WOW, and Starcraft look like ps2 GAMES ON HD?

Consoles don't drag graphics, low end pcs do

However now there is no excuse to not port games to PC, it is qucick cash
---
METAL GEAR SOLID 4 and SUPER SMASH BROSS BRAWL!!! 2007 games of the year!!!!
If you believe in Goku and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
#15PathlessBulletPosted 9/5/2013 9:22:59 AM
UI's will of course remain ported from the console versions.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#16JKatarnPosted 9/5/2013 11:16:41 AM
Metal_Gear_Link posted...
JKatarn posted...
In 6 months - a year max after the consoles release, the average gaming PC will likely be more powerful where pure specs are concerned (one could argue the average gaming PC with its more powerful Core i5/i7 vs the Jaguar variant in the consoles is more powerful now), so (eventually) porting will involve taking advantage of the added power of the PC. It's natural given the fact that consoles are static and PC tech is continually evolving.

If that was the case, then how come all popular PC games like LOL, WOW, and Starcraft look like ps2 GAMES ON HD?

You listed the three arguably most popular PC games as if they represent ALL of PC gaming.....and I don't think you've ever played a PS2 game if you're equating the graphics in those games with a PS2 title - the PS2 is a LONG LONG way from handling WoW or Starcraft 2, let alone LoL.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#17Binba442Posted 9/5/2013 1:12:25 PM
Linux PC's have X86 architecture? Right? That means I can play all my windows games on it, with no problem!

It's that. It's easier to port now, but still takes time and manpower.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#18Metal_Gear_LinkPosted 9/5/2013 1:18:30 PM
JKatarn posted...
Metal_Gear_Link posted...
JKatarn posted...

You listed the three arguably most popular PC games as if they represent ALL of PC gaming.....and I don't think you've ever played a PS2 game if you're equating the graphics in those games with a PS2 title - the PS2 is a LONG LONG way from handling WoW or Starcraft 2, let alone LoL.

Games are expensive to develop, There is no profit on developing a game that can only be run by a small number of users.
---
#19Snuckie7Posted 9/5/2013 1:21:50 PM
Because graphics settings don't exist?
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#20Metal_Gear_LinkPosted 9/5/2013 1:28:28 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
Because graphics settings don't exist?

So, you can tune crysis down to run on a pentium II? there is a limit on how much you can lower settings....
---