This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

With 8th Gen Consoles, are games still considered being "Ported" to and from PCs

#21Metal_Gear_LinkPosted 9/5/2013 12:30:07 PM
Boge posted...
I think performance should be much closer than ports from the past. I think gamepads will still hold back the superior mouse and keyboard controls. Menus and motion will be designed with gamepads in mind and poorly ported to the PC much like Borderlands and Skyrim. I still think PC gaming will suffer a bit because of consoles.

Unfortunatelly that is the case because the console version of a game sells between 3 to 10 times more, the only think you can do is buy only the games that are not poorly ported
---
METAL GEAR SOLID 4 and SUPER SMASH BROSS BRAWL!!! 2007 games of the year!!!!
If you believe in Goku and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
#22Snuckie7Posted 9/5/2013 12:32:56 PM
Metal_Gear_Link posted...
Snuckie7 posted...
Because graphics settings don't exist?

So, you can tune crysis down to run on a pentium II? there is a limit on how much you can lower settings....

Good thing most of the player base isn't running a Pentium II.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#23Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 1:39:17 PM
Boge posted...
I think performance should be much closer than ports from the past. I think gamepads will still hold back the superior mouse and keyboard controls. Menus and motion will be designed with gamepads in mind and poorly ported to the PC much like Borderlands and Skyrim. I still think PC gaming will suffer a bit because of consoles.

Unfortunatelly that is the case because the console version of a game sells between 3 to 10 times more, the only think you can do is buy only the games that are not poorly ported

I wonder if crap restrictions count as poor-porting as well.
Aka GTA4 requiring 2-3 logins to just save your game.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#24Metal_Gear_LinkPosted 9/5/2013 1:45:40 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
Snuckie7 posted...

So, you can tune crysis down to run on a pentium II? there is a limit on how much you can lower settings....

Yeah but remeber that people do not wish to pay an upfront fee of 1,400 to play games, the average consumer prefers to get a $400 dolar console whit a $500 pc

There is hope, PC gamming is growing faster!, specially in Asia and Eastern europe where consoles are much more expensive, that is why I don't opose DRM, It's the only way for PC to catch up to consoles in term of game sales.
---
#25Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 1:49:03 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
Snuckie7 posted...

Yeah but remeber that people do not wish to pay an upfront fee of 1,400 to play games, the average consumer prefers to get a $400 dolar console whit a $500 pc

There is hope, PC gamming is growing faster!, specially in Asia and Eastern europe where consoles are much more expensive, that is why I don't opose DRM, It's the only way for PC to catch up to consoles in term of game sales.

Yea, 2012 marks the first year where console and PC gaming's profits were relatively close (a few billion different)
2013, it's predicted PC will over take console
http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Nvidia-Game-Sales-Data-640x357.jpg
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#26LoshadtPosted 9/5/2013 1:49:39 PM

DRM only serves to give a slight boost to the first way of sales, otherwise DRM is a pile of crap that only hurts the user.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#27Metal_Gear_LinkPosted 9/5/2013 1:57:33 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
Snuckie7 posted...
Snuckie7 posted...

Yea, 2012 marks the first year where console and PC gaming's profits were relatively close (a few billion different)
2013, it's predicted PC will over take console
http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Nvidia-Game-Sales-Data-640x357.jpg

That is partially true, If you are a hardcore gamer like me, then it is not really good news since the bulk comes from free to pay games and it includes casual game sales and mobile games and tablet. AAA games still sold 3 to 10 times more in consoles, however PC is where indie games have boomed which brings a lot of innovation.

The keys IMO is DMR or release games ONLY on steam or similar plataforms there are still cheap fools who will pirate the game instead of paying 10 bucks on steam.
---
#28LoshadtPosted 9/5/2013 2:00:04 PM
The keys IMO is DMR or release games ONLY on steam or similar plataforms there are still cheap fools who will pirate the game instead of paying 10 bucks on steam.

DRM doesn't stop pirates. Ever. All it does it hurt the user.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#29Lemur_HPosted 9/5/2013 2:01:00 PM
Designated marksman rifle is always the key.
#30Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 2:58:37 PM
Lemur_H posted...
Designated marksman rifle is always the key.

*Snickers*
That was just bad.
---