This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 8.1 isn't that bad. Much better than 8.

#31TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 9/5/2013 7:10:06 AM
I haven't tried the preview. I heard some programs don't work as well with it/trying it on a current W8 install can be messy. Normal Windows 8 + Classic Shell is just fine for me.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#32PraetorXynPosted 9/5/2013 7:57:22 AM
__Cam__ posted...
lionheart5656 posted...
Why Windows 8 is bad period in any form.

There is no reason for it to exist as it brings nothing of value and certainly takes away value.

How does it take away value? It boots/shuts down faster than Windows 7, its system-wide search function is vastly superior, and (although it isn't a problem for responsible, sensible users) its malware protection is better. The OS as a whole is much snappier than W7.

I'll agree about it not taking away value, but I'm sick and tired of this "boots faster and shuts down faster" myth.

Windows 8 doesn't shut down period. It hibernates. So when you start the machine it restores from the hibernation file.

Try this:
1. Press Win+X on the keyboard
2. Go to Command Prompt (Administrator)
3. Type powercfg -h off
4. Press Enter
5. Reboot

Then come back and tell me how fast Windows 8 boots.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#33nameless0101Posted 9/5/2013 8:11:30 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
__Cam__ posted...
lionheart5656 posted...

There is no reason for it to exist as it brings nothing of value and certainly takes away value.

How does it take away value? It boots/shuts down faster than Windows 7, its system-wide search function is vastly superior, and (although it isn't a problem for responsible, sensible users) its malware protection is better. The OS as a whole is much snappier than W7.

I'll agree about it not taking away value, but I'm sick and tired of this "boots faster and shuts down faster" myth.

Windows 8 doesn't shut down period. It hibernates. So when you start the machine it restores from the hibernation file.

Try this:
3. Type powercfg -h off
4. Press Enter
5. Reboot

It doesn't hibernate in the traditional sense though, as it doesnt come back on to doing exactly what you were previously doing.

Besides its irrelevant because unless you go out of your way to turn the hibernation off (why would you want to?) it does boot faster than Windows 7 which doesn't hibernate unless asked and even then it's not done in the same manner.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag DeludedFool
PSN Name also DeludedFool
#34PathlessBulletPosted 9/5/2013 8:42:29 AM
To be fair the W8 start menu was already vastly superior to any other prior version of windows.

I don't get why people were so against a full screen start. It's a ***** to find the program you need on the old cramped start and that's besides the fact that the start button was hardly ever used by the vast majority.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#35PraetorXynPosted 9/5/2013 9:27:13 AM
nameless0101 posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
__Cam__ posted...
lionheart5656 posted...

Try this:
3. Type powercfg -h off
4. Press Enter
5. Reboot

It doesn't hibernate in the traditional sense though, as it doesnt come back on to doing exactly what you were previously doing.

Besides its irrelevant because unless you go out of your way to turn the hibernation off (why would you want to?) it does boot faster than Windows 7 which doesn't hibernate unless asked and even then it's not done in the same manner.

1. There is a hibernation file that reserves however much RAM you have, so if you have 8 GB that's 8 GB of hard drive space you can't use
2. Unnecessary writes to an SSD. With an SSD you'll boot faster than "Fast Boot" anyway, and having it on will make a negligible difference at the cost of 8 GB space (which is more premium on SSD's) and unnecessary writes to the drive.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#36DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/5/2013 9:43:12 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
1. There is a hibernation file that reserves however much RAM you have, so if you have 8 GB that's 8 GB of hard drive space you can't use
2. Unnecessary writes to an SSD. With an SSD you'll boot faster than "Fast Boot" anyway, and having it on will make a negligible difference at the cost of 8 GB space (which is more premium on SSD's) and unnecessary writes to the drive.

How are these things all that relevant in this day and age? Do you only have a 64GB ssd? If so, then sure maybe 8GB will feel like a large dent. Also current SSD's lifespans are much longer than you give them credit for. They can handle these daily writes for years on end.

The OS boots up faster whether you want to accept howit does it as a good thing or not. It is not the same as hibernation in windows 7 and previous. It doesn't save every program or every instance of what was running when you shut down. It only saves the main kernel and system configuration settings. While that is still a large chunk, it can vary quite a lot depending on your setup.

All I care about is the fact that I can boot my system in 8 seconds so I never feel the need to use sleep anymore.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#37castrejon04Posted 9/5/2013 9:44:14 AM
I don't care about windows 8.1, I already have a start button and it boots directly to desktop once I log in for several months now far before windows 8.1 was announced.

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/4571/qd66.jpg
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#38GoldninjaPosted 9/5/2013 9:54:07 AM
Kalammer posted...
It's too bad all the whining about the start menu has only served to clutter my taskbar with a useless start button in 8.1, and no way to disable it.

Yep. I agree. The only function the button will serve is a reminder that the old menu is dead and won't be officially coming back. Oh, that and for people who can't seem to figure out that the window pop up in its place with "start" plastered on it takes us to the start screen.

Really, if MS included a comprehensive tutorial for first time use of 8, the whining wouldn't have been nearly as bad (but it would still be bad).
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
http://tinyurl.com/b3422xl - Petition to make phone unlocking legal again
#39r0ge00Posted 9/5/2013 11:21:00 AM
All the complaining about the Start button is pointless. The supposed Master Race sure is behind the times in searching for stuff with the Windows key. Windows 8 makes it super easy.
#40SinisterSlayPosted 9/5/2013 11:22:11 AM
r0ge00 posted...
All the complaining about the Start button is pointless. The supposed Master Race sure is behind the times in searching for stuff with the Windows key. Windows 8 makes it super easy.

Control + Esc

Who needs a windows key?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence