This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can a failing PSU cause framerate issues?

#1triple sPosted 9/4/2013 5:35:24 PM
I've made several different topics lately about something being wrong with my PC seeing as I can play games perfectly for about 5 minutes then my framerate drops to the teens. I think it's the power supply at this point as I have tested a different GPU and RAM sticks on my PC and experience the same issues, switched my game to a different HDD with the same problems, switched PCIE slots and put my CPU to stock speeds(while the temperature still remains low) and still have the issues. I already ordered another PSU, but if for some reason it's not that, I'm wondering if a bad motherboard can cause this.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#2OldSorrowPosted 9/4/2013 5:49:57 PM
Maybe its the case or the fans?
#3fataliPosted 9/4/2013 5:52:07 PM
Have you keep an eye on your temps while playing? something may be overheating and is causing the slowdowns, as it tries to lower the temps.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#4triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 5:52:33 PM
OldSorrow posted...
Maybe its the case or the fans?

My temps are pretty low overall though.
---
#5triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 5:55:15 PM
fatali posted...
Have you keep an eye on your temps while playing? something may be overheating and is causing the slowdowns, as it tries to lower the temps.

It happens every time I play a game now. I played Saints Row 4 all the way through a couple of weeks ago and didn't have this issue. Now all of a sudden it happens on every game regardless of how demanding the game is. I was thinking it was my graphics card, but I dusted it out really good not even a few weeks ago and thought it might be the thermal paste on the heatsink but it wasn't. Switched out the graphics cared completely and still the same problem. Also switched it to a different PCIE slot and the same thing happens.
---
#6wizardmonPosted 9/4/2013 5:59:26 PM
triple s posted...
fatali posted...

It happens every time I play a game now. I played Saints Row 4 all the way through a couple of weeks ago and didn't have this issue. Now all of a sudden it happens on every game regardless of how demanding the game is. I was thinking it was my graphics card, but I dusted it out really good not even a few weeks ago and thought it might be the thermal paste on the heatsink but it wasn't. Switched out the graphics cared completely and still the same problem. Also switched it to a different PCIE slot and the same thing happens.

I think it has to do more with a software issue than a hardware issue at this point.

Does this happen for every game? Do you have a lot of other programs running on your PC at the same time?

Since you seem to be throwing a lot of money at the issue to fix it, I assume you are willing to go to great lengths to fix it. Have you tried this on a completely fresh install of Windows, fully updated, fresh install of drivers, or even attempting to use old drivers, unplug everything that doesn't need to be plugged in, like game controllers printers and other such items.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#7triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 6:15:53 PM
Since you seem to be throwing a lot of money at the issue to fix it, I assume you are willing to go to great lengths to fix it. Have you tried this on a completely fresh install of Windows, fully updated, fresh install of drivers, or even attempting to use old drivers, unplug everything that doesn't need to be plugged in, like game controllers printers and other such items.

Interesting...
---
#8triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 6:16:20 PM
Yeah, maybe I should do a little more trouble shooting.
---
#9LordSeiferPosted 9/4/2013 6:18:12 PM
power supply seems like a very unlikely culprit
---
^ this
#10TheFeshPincePosted 9/4/2013 6:22:04 PM
LordSeifer posted...
power supply seems like a very unlikely culprit

Ya, that is what I was thinking. Have you checked any BIOS settings (power saving, etc) that could cause this? It could be the motherboard. I had this same problem, but it ended up just being BIOS settings and an unstable overclock.
---
http://i.imgur.com/J0lvB6S.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/DoHj9yA.jpg | http://youtu.be/YXkx-PSwbG4