This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which of the following RTS series has the best RTS game?

#51DerPancakePosted 9/10/2013 9:15:37 AM
Gynthaeres posted...
DerPancake posted...
Gynthaeres posted...

-Company of Heroes is objectively one of the best RTSes around, I think, but I just could never get into the WWII setting. I'd definitely love to see more RTSes model themselves after these games though.

Honestly I don't see how it can be considered one of the best RTSes, when it fact the population of this game is now worse than many older RTS games.

No, no. Don't make the mistake of equating popularity with quality. Do you honestly think Call of Duty is the best FPS around? That The Sims is the best series available on PC?

I call Company of Heroes one of the best RTSes around because of its strategic and tactical depth. Combat in that game is more than just a-move, or stutter-stepping to victory. Cover is a factor. Suppressive fire is a factor. Vehicles are not just ignorable throw-away units, but actually need counters.
Terran changes as the battle goes on, causing actual gameplay effects, like buildings (that you can garrison) collapsing and craters forming. When vehicles get destroyed, they leave burnt shells behind, which you can use for cover (along with the previously-mentioned craters).

There's more, but that's a good outline for now. I really wish we'd get more RTSes that would model themselves after Company of Heroes. I love the ideas behind it, but just can't get into it because of the WWII setting.
...of course, I wish we'd get more RTSes, period. Kind of a dying genre these days.

I mean more about the inconsistency. Mortars missing a lot, while my enemy gets me in 1 hit, or jeep sometimes killing crew units fast, while sometimes taking hours wtf is with that. Later in the game, it does become consistent, but the early game is what annoys me the most. Another thing that annoys me is when I'm supressing the enemy and sometimes they are able to run back to their base wtf.
---
Nope Nope Nope!!!!
#52KillerTrufflePosted 9/10/2013 9:31:38 AM
There are so many great games, great franchises, etc., and RTS is my favorite genre... but my all-time favorite is C&C Generals: Zero Hour. No other game I've played has accomplished the variety of 9 effectively different factions (well, 3 factions with 3 sub-factions each) and managed to keep them so finely balanced. Back in the day, my roommate and I played Generals so much that we could do one-on-one fights, and regardless of what faction each of us was using, it was always a toss-up who would win. The only flaw was with Stealth GLA. They were terribly gimped due to the wide variety of detection options all the sides had.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#53UberLurkerPosted 9/10/2013 10:12:49 AM
DerPancake posted...
I mean more about the inconsistency. Mortars missing a lot, while my enemy gets me in 1 hit, or jeep sometimes killing crew units fast, while sometimes taking hours wtf is with that. Later in the game, it does become consistent, but the early game is what annoys me the most. Another thing that annoys me is when I'm supressing the enemy and sometimes they are able to run back to their base wtf.

The inconsistency can be explained by veterancy. The fact that you say it becomes consistent later in game confirms it, the longer your guys are in the game the better they get... well except for the Germans, they can buy their experience and as such can become much better much faster if you choose to spend your resources that way.

As for suppressed units being able to run back to base... you know about the Retreat function right? Your guys will break suppression and run back to base, and will get an evasion bonus to boot.
#54Bossdog421Posted 9/10/2013 10:15:37 AM
Each Warcraft RTS was my favorite as they were released. All of the others had pitfalls in the series that damages the overall love of the series.
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll
#55wizardmonPosted 9/10/2013 10:16:57 AM
Homeworld
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#56G1ANT_SQU1DPosted 9/11/2013 5:57:53 AM
kinda right saying paradox games aren't really the same kind of game. the traditional RTS games need a name for the subgenre, unless there already is one and im unaware of it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/UN9GX.jpg