This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember when "DLC" was called "Expansion Pack"

#11codyorrPosted 9/5/2013 4:58:02 AM
I miss expansion packs.
#12Ch3wyPosted 9/5/2013 5:09:26 AM
johnny_pay posted...
IBKNAWTU posted...
Lemur_H posted...
IBKNAWTU posted...
Expansion packs can be bought online and in stores, while DLC can't.

http://gamerfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/p_00121.jpg

DLC can be bought online and in stores.

I meant to say Expansion Discs, but fair enough. My point was more that DLC is only available digitally.

2 of rockstar's games have dlc that can be bought on disk. both red dead redemption and gta 4 dlc are on disk.

Rockstar's DLC is expansion pack tier DLC so it doesn't count as DLC despite me referring it to it as DLC multiple times in this very sentence.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#13TwinqePosted 9/5/2013 5:12:46 AM
Pretty much the only true expansions I can think of in this day and age would be the Civilization series' expansions.
---
3DS FC: 4511-1880-0614 | Steam: Twinqe
#14pothocketPosted 9/5/2013 5:57:33 AM(edited)
Maybe we shouldn't insist on exact definitions of what can be labeled as DLC and what is an Expansion Pack.

A) They're pretty much the same thing either way. Expansion packs is content that you download and DLC expands the games...

B) The practice of nearly every game having DLC in some form is still relatively new and is constantly evolving, so obviously the words used to define the concept will change in meaning.

C) It doesn't matter. No one cares.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#15antknotPosted 9/5/2013 5:55:43 AM
Maybe because back then it with crappy internet it would be hard to download any downloadable content (dlc) so it was easier to sell it in a disc as an expansion for the original game and thus selling more?

I am glad we still get additional content for games, just not that nickel and dime crap.
#16Bossdog421Posted 9/5/2013 6:25:10 AM
Expansion packs still exist. DLC is just bigger. A lot of smaller overpriced content or 1 big piece of content that is reasonably priced. Companies want money and people are stupid and will buy horse armor for 5 bucks.
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll
#17AlavardPosted 9/5/2013 6:26:49 AM
Twinqe posted...
Pretty much the only true expansions I can think of in this day and age would be the Civilization series' expansions.

There's also the upcoming one for X-Com. Interestingly, both series are made by Firaxis.