This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I changed my mind on Zafehouse

#1happyscrub1Posted 9/5/2013 5:34:34 AM
I tried to get you guys into it because it's something fresh and had tons of potential to get even better. But after looking at the conversations around the game for a while, I get the vibes that the developer is a douche.

Too many things in the game that are anti-fun and the developer says they are intended (no plans to change). Too much lack of information about the game to where most of the mechanics of the game are vague. That's intended too.

Pretty much only people who are into coding who are modding their game are getting most of the joy out of it.

For a lot of the stuff that's unpolished about the game, the developer coins it to adding to the "rogue-like" atmosphere to the game.

This game feels like watching a 4.0 college grad turn to drugs and prostitution. A mind (game) is a terrible thing to waste.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#2happyscrub1(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 5:40:51 AM
No, I have a better analogy. This game is like playing SimCity on release. You are amazed when you first play it... then get extremely frustrated when you try to play is seriously because it's broken.
---
#3SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/5/2013 6:04:22 AM
Can you describe your specific problems with the game?

I don't avoid a game just because someone says they don't like it.

And I feel I should point out that some roguelike fans actually prefer obfuscation. Not me, that's just silly IMO.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#4happyscrub1(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 6:45:59 AM
1. RNG feels like it plays 80% of the game. That's major. And if it's not 80%, there's no documented information tells you how stuff really plays out.

For example:

One person would fight 3 zombies and kill them all with brass knuckles and not take a scratch.
Reload save, now they just end up with a minor bruise.
Reload save, now they die without even killing one.
Reload save and upgrade weapon to a baseball bat, they kill all 3 zombies but now come out critically wounded.

All RNG.

2. Stats are rounded out to 5 stars. So when you get multiple items or survivors with the same star rating, you have no idea what/who's better.

3. Worthless, time consuming upgrades. You want better weapons so you tell someone to upgrade them. Then next turn you get a deadlier screw driver.... while you got machetes, baseball bats, and shotguns needing to be upgrade. And since this game is a race against time, it makes it even more stupid that you wasted 2+ hours on trash.

4. Different survivors have different occupations. All occupations have different stats (some random)... which most are hidden. The game doesn't tell you what those stats are and the game files are encrypted.

5. Half of all the stats have no documentation what so ever. So you have no idea what they are for. (i'm not talking about "star" stats. Stats like artistic."

6. The relationships + RNG = random nightmares.

example: I started a game where some people didn't like each other. Just a few hours (turns in), they start fighting each other. Ended the day with a few broken bones and bruises. Like WTF? I suffered 10 x as much injuries then I would of gotten from any early zombie encounters.

Just off top of my head.
---
#5SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/5/2013 6:52:30 AM
Sounds like design that is very much acceptable for roguelikes.

Maybe the game isn't anti-fun so much as you don't like these things.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#6happyscrub1(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 6:53:48 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...

Buy it, try it, try it seriously, then come back and say that.
---
#7pothocketPosted 9/5/2013 6:56:00 AM(edited)
happyscrub1 posted...
Too much lack of information about the game to where most of the mechanics of the game are vague.

Exactly. The game does a poor job of relaying important information to the player. It feels like I'm at a table with a GM and he has everything behind his screen so I have to constantly ask what's going on and he's doing a terrible job explaining it.

This in contrast to FTL that places me right into the action and has no problem communicating exactly what is taking place.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#8SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/5/2013 7:34:35 AM(edited)
happyscrub1 posted...

Buy it, try it, try it seriously, then come back and say that.

I've ascended NetHack twice, and I'm pretty sure nothing can be designed to be more impenetrable than that game, and it's the most popular traditional roguelike.

I'm not saying I prefer that kind of design, but a large chunk of the community does.

I'm basically informing you that you are out of your element here. It's fine to not enjoy the game, but that doesn't mean the game is anti-fun. It's designed for people who have different standards of what is fun.
---
#9lionheart5656Posted 9/5/2013 7:51:04 AM

No it's pretty unfun.

I tried it. Most of what happens feels llike total bull**** and I'm a big fan of roguelikes.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#10SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/5/2013 7:54:34 AM
Which roguelikes?
---