This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I changed my mind on Zafehouse

#11pothocketPosted 9/5/2013 7:56:36 AM
You seem awfully insistent on having a conversation about a game you know nothing about.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#12ElDudorinoPosted 9/5/2013 8:25:18 AM(edited)
Well, to be fair, he's right that all of the stuff the TC listed IS pretty typical. More traditional Rogue-likes pretty much revolve around the RNG screwing you as hard as possible and you have to play incredibly defensively just in case something awful happens so you can try to recover from it - and even if you do everything "perfectly" you'll STILL probably die until you get some good luck with loot. Information about the game is usually buried as well, so I'm not surprised that survivors would have traits like "artistic" that don't seem to do anything. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that trait really DOES do nothing! If the game becomes popular enough, people will put together a wiki where you can find this information, but until then you're flying blind and that's just how the game is intended to be played. In real life you wouldn't know if your artistic friend is going to bring some unique skills to the zombie-killing table either.

The upgrade thing sounds super lame but I guess if you had a great weapon then you would try to upgrade that and because it takes a long time you'll make sure that you only upgrade when you're sure you've found something you want to stick with. Again, not too surprising from a genre that revolves around killing you mercilessly and repeatedly until you get everything just right on a lucky playthrough.

I've never played the game either and probably never will. I actually thought this topic might be about another game I had forgotten the name of. But I've dabbled in a lot of Rogue-Likes and I find that the ones I actually enjoy are more of a "Rogue-LITE" in that everything about them is toned down to be less punishing (Azure Dreams being my favorite example). To really be true to the genre I think you kinda have to be cruel to the player and shroud everything in mystery.
#13happyscrub1(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 9:15:47 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...

I'm basically informing you that you are out of your element here. It's fine to not enjoy the game, but that doesn't mean the game is anti-fun. It's designed for people who have different standards of what is fun.

Hey there, come off your high horse. Never seen someone so condescending about a game they never played.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#14SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/5/2013 9:26:37 AM
pothocket posted...
You seem awfully insistent on having a conversation about a game you know nothing about.

I actually own the game, I simply haven't played it yet.

My end of the conversation was more about design in general than the game itself.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#15happyscrub1(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 9:31:15 AM

I actually own the game, I simply haven't played it yet.

My end of the conversation was more about design in general than the game itself.

Step:

1. Click on user name
2. Type "high horse rogue troll"
3. Click on tag user box
4. Profit
---
#16ElDudorinoPosted 9/5/2013 9:32:17 AM
... wow. Impressive.
#17happyscrub1(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 9:38:22 AM
ElDudorino posted...
Well, to be fair, he's right that all of the stuff the TC listed IS pretty typical. More traditional Rogue-likes pretty much revolve around the RNG screwing you as hard as possible and you have to play incredibly defensively just in case something awful happens so you can try to recover from it - and even if you do everything "perfectly" you'll STILL probably die until you get some good luck with loot. .

Naw.

I remember the closest I gotten to beaten the normal mode game, I was only like 3 steps away. Thought it was easy street. I had upgrades body armor and a cache of weapons, mainly shotguns. I also had too much ammo to care about.

Wanted to hurry up and just beat the game (because it started to get aggravating). Stormed a building decked out in the best items in the game....

INSTANT DEATH!

lol.

5 people failed the super RNG rolls to kill 17 zombies with the best gear in game. The same building I been previously with half the stuff.
---
#18AllHailTheDead6Posted 9/5/2013 9:40:03 AM
happyscrub1 posted...
1. RNG feels like it plays 80% of the game. That's major. And if it's not 80%, there's no documented information tells you how stuff really plays out.

For example:

One person would fight 3 zombies and kill them all with brass knuckles and not take a scratch.
Reload save, now they just end up with a minor bruise.
Reload save, now they die without even killing one.
Reload save and upgrade weapon to a baseball bat, they kill all 3 zombies but now come out critically wounded.

All RNG.

2. Stats are rounded out to 5 stars. So when you get multiple items or survivors with the same star rating, you have no idea what/who's better.

3. Worthless, time consuming upgrades. You want better weapons so you tell someone to upgrade them. Then next turn you get a deadlier screw driver.... while you got machetes, baseball bats, and shotguns needing to be upgrade. And since this game is a race against time, it makes it even more stupid that you wasted 2+ hours on trash.

4. Different survivors have different occupations. All occupations have different stats (some random)... which most are hidden. The game doesn't tell you what those stats are and the game files are encrypted.

5. Half of all the stats have no documentation what so ever. So you have no idea what they are for. (i'm not talking about "star" stats. Stats like artistic."

6. The relationships + RNG = random nightmares.

example: I started a game where some people didn't like each other. Just a few hours (turns in), they start fighting each other. Ended the day with a few broken bones and bruises. Like WTF? I suffered 10 x as much injuries then I would of gotten from any early zombie encounters.

Just off top of my head.

As someone who really likes roguelikes.....I really want to play this game now, seems pretty awesome with the amount of randomness

but from what you described it just sounds pretty awesome. Like could you have ditched those two people who started fighting? That couldve solved your problem, I mean you never know about people

and upgrading the screwdriver, well what if you didn't have it available for them to upgrade so they upgraded a better weapon instead.

idk I just really love games that have randomness like you described
---
Steam ID AllHailTheDead
*Puts on his robe and wizard hat*
#19BcowmanPosted 9/5/2013 9:40:55 AM
Sinfullyvannila made the terrible mistake of taking a happyscrub topic seriously, haha.
#20SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/5/2013 9:43:19 AM
happyscrub1 posted...

I'm basically informing you that you are out of your element here. It's fine to not enjoy the game, but that doesn't mean the game is anti-fun. It's designed for people who have different standards of what is fun.

Hey there, come off your high horse. Never seen someone so condescending about a game they never played.

I'm not on a high horse. If anything you are by dictating what people are allowed to find fun.

What you are doing is akin to a baseball player walking into a sports bar and informing soccer fans that sport is bad because its not like baseball on the basis of playing one game of soccer. Of course the soccer fans are going to tell him he is out of his element.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch