This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I changed my mind on Zafehouse

#21happyscrub1(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 10:47:45 AM(edited)
AllHailTheDead6 posted...

As someone who really likes roguelikes.....I really want to play this game now, seems pretty awesome with the amount of randomness

but from what you described it just sounds pretty awesome. Like could you have ditched those two people who started fighting? That couldve solved your problem, I mean you never know about people

and upgrading the screwdriver, well what if you didn't have it available for them to upgrade so they upgraded a better weapon instead.

idk I just really love games that have randomness like you described

In easy mode, unlimited mode, you can ditch them. You can do that because you can find more. In the other modes, the game because harder if you do it with less people.

There are ways to avoid fights, mainly just by trying to keep them apart (like have one got loot houses while another defends a safe house. In the game I played, it just happened so fast an instant, I couldn't avoid it.

I could have like moved the screw driver to another house so it wouldn't of been an option, but then I would have to make sure another place is safe, move it, and other stuff. Turns into a giant time sink to work around.

I don't mind answer questions. Like I said before, I like this game concept.... I just hate the final product and don't see much motivation to fix some issues.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#22SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/5/2013 10:49:30 AM
Bcowman posted...
Sinfullyvannila made the terrible mistake of taking a happyscrub topic seriously, haha.

Well, in my defense, it's really easy to feign roguelike ignorance.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#23happyscrub1(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 10:51:30 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...

I'm not on a high horse. If anything you are by dictating what people are allowed to find fun.

What you are doing is akin to a baseball player walking into a sports bar and informing soccer fans that sport is bad because its not like baseball on the basis of playing one game of soccer. Of course the soccer fans are going to tell him he is out of his element.

And I'm pretty sure the baseball player knows atleast 85% of soccer from watching it (plus having played one game like you just said). He also knew soccer existed for years

You on the other hand know maybe 10% of this game and never played it once. And you probably JUST heard about the game.

Piss poor analogy, bro.
---
#24pothocketPosted 9/5/2013 10:56:51 AM
You guys can split hairs all day long over what a "roguelike" game is or isn't but it's not going to change how Zafehouse actually plays.

The games has issues that have nothing to do with other games. If I think the game deserves a 5/10 it doesn't magically become 8/10 just because it's labeled 'roguelike'.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#25SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/5/2013 11:36:04 AM
pothocket posted...
You guys can split hairs all day long over what a "roguelike" game is or isn't but it's not going to change how Zafehouse actually plays.

The games has issues that have nothing to do with other games. If I think the game deserves a 5/10 it doesn't magically become 8/10 just because it's labeled 'roguelike'.

Honestly my only problem with your post is that you describe elements that some people find desirable as 'anti-fun', as if the person made the game to be not fun.

And I totally stand by my analogy. First hand knowledge of this particular game is irrelevant to my points of contention. My points are on the design theory, not the execution of that theory.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#26Freelance_WolfPosted 9/5/2013 12:11:06 PM(edited)
Rogue-likes ARE meant to screw you over though, and you keep trying til you succeed, over and over and over. I don't like how you call the game 'anti-fun' though. What you call 'anti-fun' isn't the same to everyone else. What you described is standard to the genre and fans would find those fun.

Anyway, I'm sorry you ended up not liking the game, happyscrub. I thought I'd finally find someone to try it (and like it), but I guess not. I still think the game needs more exposure though. Not many people know about it, and I still like it loads more than F.T.L, even though F.T.L isn't bad either.

---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#27happyscrub1(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 12:19:04 PM
Freelance_Wolf posted...
and I still like it loads more than F.T.L, even though F.T.L isn't bad either.

There's nothing vague about F.T.L. though. It's extremely well documented and you know exactly what's what.

You say you love Zafehouse, but you can't tell me what determines combat situations.
---
#28Freelance_WolfPosted 9/5/2013 12:33:20 PM(edited)
Zafehouse is more interesting than F.T.L, which is why I like it, and I like the gameplay more too.

---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#29xlequltxPosted 9/5/2013 1:15:34 PM
Game led to hilarious situations. I still remember my big black guy getting one arm and one leg amputated while surviving the longest.
#30codyorrPosted 9/5/2013 1:22:16 PM
LOL. Sounds like every game I consider awesome from the 80s and 90s. If it's not too big a download, and my game reviewer coworker says it's at least "Meh", I'll probably get it. I love randomness to the point of absurdity.