This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Xbox1's cloud really as good as microsoft is making it seem?

#1Kenshiro11226Posted 9/5/2013 10:09:14 AM
Wanted to get the opinion of the PC master race so I dont buy into the console hype.
#2Ch3wyPosted 9/5/2013 10:10:15 AM
No.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3o0stoneduk0oPosted 9/5/2013 10:10:46 AM
nope, sorry.
---
I don't smoke dope, I don't drink bourbon, all I want to do is shake my turban.
#4SinisterSlayPosted 9/5/2013 10:12:21 AM
Uh no....
Maybe in 10 years the technology might exist, but it will be far longer before the internet infrastructure exists.

At the moment, cloud game rendering requires a dedicated computer and graphics card for every player.

That's at least 600 dollar per active player.
That's crazy!
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5Enigma149Posted 9/5/2013 10:18:57 AM(edited)
Here's the deal:

In theory, cloud gaming would allow for cheap hardware (even as low as $100, in a cloud-dedicated machine) and a gaming experience as-good, if not better than, what is possible in a $500 console, or even $1500 PC.

In practice, however, it would require an incredibly fast internet connection to get even close to this level. 1 Gbps would be a nice start, but even then, there'd be noticeable, gameplay-interfering latency...and we probably won't have these speeds widely available until at least 2020 in the United States (Europe might get them sooner, though). And even then, it'd be another decade before enough people got it to support a large gaming population...and all the while, you'd have new technologies like optical and quantum computing pressing in, threatening to make major leaps happen over the span of a year and pushing the point at which cloud gaming becomes virtually equal to non-cloud gaming back.

That said, if you want to try cloud gaming for yourself, you could always try out On Live - every game on the service has a free 1/2 hour trial, so you wouldn't have to spend any money testing it out.

***EDIT***
Also, remember that the moment the servers go down, the game becomes unplayable. And even if reliability does increase by then, companies will, eventually, abandon less-popular games to save on costs.
---
MOS 6510 @ 1.023 MHz // MOS VIC-II 6567 // 64 kB RAM // 20 kB ROM // 3ch MOS 6581 SID // 1541 FDD // Datasette
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NN, Steam: CrimsonEnigma
#6Panzer_SquidPosted 9/5/2013 10:19:04 AM
It could be. Things that aren't time sensitive could be calculated and sent even on low-bandwidth connections. You have to understand, they're not talking about streaming gameplay (or rather, streaming a video, audio included of the gameplay) like Gaikai or onlive. I doubt it'll be a problem for most of the people who buy the X1, though I'm sure there will be a few problems that occur on occasion.
---
The Panzer Squid is the ultimate hunter, blending into any environment until it has the opportunity to shove a rocket up urbum
#7Lemur_HPosted 9/5/2013 10:47:34 AM(edited)
Pure marketing.

Hey, check out how powerful our system is. With the cloud, it's now faster than the PS4! Right? ...Right......? Guys..........? :(
#8aak57Posted 9/5/2013 10:46:27 AM
In theory yes, in reality no.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#9ZeraphLordSPosted 9/5/2013 10:59:18 AM
I could see them doing some nice dynamic cloth physics, wave simulations (although obviously interactions would be lagged unless it switches on-the-fly to a simple simulation when you interact, for the cloth physics anyway), maybe pre-rendering some nicer videos to play as backdrops for some games, but for it to be something actually neat and useful, we're not nearly there yet. If they do manage to do something significant, I'll be extremely surprised.

It's not a big deal.
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#10BogePosted 9/5/2013 11:03:39 AM
They won't actually be using it to play games through, just stream your video, keep your saved game files, etc.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.