This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Xbox1's cloud really as good as microsoft is making it seem?

#21PhilOnDezPosted 9/5/2013 4:58:31 PM
It will provide a minor boost but it's already something that PC has had for forever. 'Cloud Computing' as the xbone is using it is just a fancy phrase for dedicated servers, meaning that games won't -have- to be programmed around P2P hosting so 100% can go towards running the game instead of 90% to running the game with 10% (or whatever the numbers would be, I'm pulling them out of my ***) on reserve in case that system ends up needing to play the host.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#22ArsenicOverlordPosted 9/5/2013 5:52:46 PM
The only thing I can imagine Xbone's cloud realistically and genuinely helping out is with a strategy-heavy game with lots of background AI calculations.

But really, how many console game is going to fall in that criteria?
---
Phosphorus? Pfffft, who needs 'em??
Happy user of PowerFAQs 1.11
#23Dipping_sticksPosted 9/6/2013 4:06:42 AM
nIMr0D888 posted...
You guys have completely missed the point. Data analytics is a significant advantage.

There are potentially a lot of things the xbox could do with cloud processing that the ps4 cant. It isnt just about streaming video.

An example off the top of my head would be player style analysis and modifying enemy AI behavior to better match the difficulty you are playing at, or even online match making with play style criteria. This is not possible on a single device.

lol
#24LordSeiferPosted 9/6/2013 4:10:18 AM
nIMr0D888 posted...
You guys have completely missed the point. Data analytics is a significant advantage.

There are potentially a lot of things the xbox could do with cloud processing that the ps4 cant. It isnt just about streaming video.

An example off the top of my head would be player style analysis and modifying enemy AI behavior to better match the difficulty you are playing at, or even online match making with play style criteria. This is not possible on a single device.

why wouldnt it be

modifying enemy AI behavior to better match the difficulty you are playing at

doesnt basically every game do this
---
^ this
#25crawdadPosted 9/6/2013 4:54:45 AM
I can see it being useful for games like Titanfall where you can set your Mech to Auto pilot, and those calculations (since you'd be playing off of dedicated servers as well) being handled on the Cloud/servers would be quite handy and not host or client dependent, Things like that would be quite good. I think it's really up to the developers to find good and interesting ways to utilise it.

I think the advantage of something like this being on consoles say over a PC is that every connected user will be on the exact same OS and OS version, as well as the exact same hardware, so it would make sense if they could do more as a result.

I don;t think there's anything wrong with being skeptical, but there's nothing wrong with being a BIT optimistic.
---
Spit in the face of life and have a good day out of sheer f****** spite!
GT:Gojirra PSN Gojirra102 steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#26PhilOnDezPosted 9/6/2013 5:39:38 AM
LordSeifer posted...
why wouldnt it be

modifying enemy AI behavior to better match the difficulty you are playing at

doesnt basically every game do this

I don't know how many modern games do this but we've had tech like this since at least the GameCube. In RE4 the better you play the smarter the enemies get and the more damage they deal. If you played perfectly normal mode was just as hard as professional, and all professional did was set the AI/Strength sliders to max and lock them there, as well as disabling the tactical vest's bonus.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
#27RavenoussdPosted 9/6/2013 6:56:40 AM
Ch3wy posted...
No.

lol came here to say this
---
1055T | M4a77d | 6gb ddr2 | AMD 6870 | Sonata III | Antec 500w earthwatts | 500gb HD | 27" Monitor | Blu ray/dvd burner | Win 7 Prof | Razer BlackWidow Ult
#28snesmaster40Posted 9/6/2013 7:02:16 AM
I disabled Steam cloud a very long time ago as it just ended up causing problems for me. Games would take longer to load as they kept downloading the settings from the cloud server and even after exiting they'd upload the settings.

I've also seen nightmare stories where cloud saves kept corrupting or overwriting. This happened a lot in Borderlands 2, as players would discover hours of gameplay would disappear as an oudated cloud save would overwrite the current save.
---
Are we not men?
#29PhilOnDezPosted 9/6/2013 7:19:45 AM
You're talking about cloud storage which the 360 already has, I haven't used it personally but my brother has and hasn't had a problem out of it so I think MS has that much figured out at least. They're talking about cloud computing which as I mentioned above, in the sense that MS is using it, is just a fancy word for dedicated servers instead of P2P hosting like the current gen and the PS4 uses.
---
#30snesmaster40Posted 9/6/2013 7:42:45 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
You're talking about cloud storage which the 360 already has, I haven't used it personally but my brother has and hasn't had a problem out of it so I think MS has that much figured out at least. They're talking about cloud computing which as I mentioned above, in the sense that MS is using it, is just a fancy word for dedicated servers instead of P2P hosting like the current gen and the PS4 uses.

Oh. Something like SimCity 2013 did?
---
Are we not men?