This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Xbox1's cloud really as good as microsoft is making it seem?

#31PhilOnDezPosted 9/6/2013 10:00:59 AM
snesmaster40 posted...
Oh. Something like SimCity 2013 did?

Nah, I haven't played the game but from what I understand SimCity just disabled enough to the game to render it not-properly-playable if you weren't connected to the servers. Their cloud servers are more comparable to setting up a minecraft server on a separate PC from the one you're playing on. My current PC runs it at 60 FPS pretty much no matter what I do, but when I did the same thing on my old laptop I took about a 5 FPS dip if I had multiple people playing, vs if I were to set up a server on a second computer my laptop probably would have run a bit better than if I was just playing single player since the server computer would handle chunk updates and leave mine free to render frames as fast as my GPU could handle.

I doubt the AI in Titanfall will be anything hugely impressive but it could definitely add a few FPS if all the MP physics and AI is handled by a powerful server instead of a P2P host, the systems can just focus on pushing out as many frames as they can while the server tells them what to actually render. That sounds impressive, but keep in mind that's how online MP has always worked, as far back as the PS2 and Dreamcast, it was just another console telling the others what to render though, not a server.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#32crawdadPosted 9/6/2013 10:31:05 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
I doubt the AI in Titanfall will be anything hugely impressive but it could definitely add a few FPS if all the MP physics and AI is handled by a powerful server instead of a P2P host, the systems can just focus on pushing out as many frames as they can while the server tells them what to actually render. That sounds impressive, but keep in mind that's how online MP has always worked, as far back as the PS2 and Dreamcast, it was just another console telling the others what to render though, not a server.

Sounds like there's at least potential. Let's just hope (of us that are crazy enough to buy into it, aka me:P) that there's some really creative uses for the service.
---
Spit in the face of life and have a good day out of sheer f****** spite!
GT:Gojirra PSN Gojirra102 steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#33runromPosted 9/6/2013 10:32:39 AM
cloud computing = drm.
---
MBP 2009 | Intel i5 3570k + Powercolor 7870 Myst | HP Touchpad 32gb CM9 | MyTouch4g running 4.1
Now part of the 500 posts club.
#34AsucaHayashiPosted 9/6/2013 10:39:57 AM
here's a better question.

when is ANYTHING as good as any console manufacturer claims?
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#35razorracerPosted 9/6/2013 10:55:37 AM(edited)
Moose_Of_Woe posted...
"The cloud" is to Xbox One as "blast processing" was to the Genesis.

In other words, the cloud is PR babble to sell consoles to the misinformed or uninformed. The features do have some use, but are vastly over hyped and they're really not all that impressive.

Another more general example would be "Retina" to Apple devices.
---
Member of the awesome PS Vita, Nintendo 3DS, iOS, and Android owners club.
#36Lemur_HPosted 9/6/2013 10:58:44 AM
razorracer posted...
Moose_Of_Woe posted...

In other words, the cloud is PR babble to sell consoles to the misinformed or uninformed. The features do have some use, but are vastly over hyped and they're really not all that impressive.

I don't think that is fair. The word Retina may be marketing, but the screen is pretty damn awesome. Something like "the power of the cloud" and "blast processing" is just a bunch of bulls***.
#37razorracerPosted 9/6/2013 11:35:18 AM(edited)
Lemur_H posted...
razorracer posted...
Moose_Of_Woe posted...

I don't think that is fair. The word Retina may be marketing, but the screen is pretty damn awesome. Something like "the power of the cloud" and "blast processing" is just a bunch of bulls***.

True, the HD "Retina" screens do indeed have a useful purpose (my iPod Touch 5G has a Retina screen, same one as on the iPhone 5). Though I gotta admit the "Retina" buzzword does seem a bit pretentious. At least it's used on something practical and tangible, unlike "The Cloud" and "Blast Processing" as mentioned.
---
Member of the awesome PS Vita, Nintendo 3DS, iOS, and Android owners club.
#38PhilOnDezPosted 9/6/2013 11:34:12 AM
Going from a 3GS to a 4S was a huge difference in how good things actually look. Retina might just be a buzzword atm since pretty much any top-end smartphone is going to have it or something better but at the beginning it was, imo, properly used and definitely set the industry in the right direction as far as that one aspect of phones goes, though I do feel it's getting kinda silly at this point, 1080 is more than enough for a 4" phone, I don't need a 4k screen in my pocket.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#39nIMr0D888Posted 9/6/2013 4:15:20 PM(edited)
PhilOnDez posted...
LordSeifer posted...
why wouldnt it be

modifying enemy AI behavior to better match the difficulty you are playing at

doesnt basically every game do this

I don't know how many modern games do this but we've had tech like this since at least the GameCube. In RE4 the better you play the smarter the enemies get and the more damage they deal. If you played perfectly normal mode was just as hard as professional, and all professional did was set the AI/Strength sliders to max and lock them there, as well as disabling the tactical vest's bonus.

In a rudimentary form yes. A single device doesn't have enough free processing power to perform complex data analytics.

You're talking about damage sliders and sliders for complex to simple AI behavior. I am talking about adapting unique behavior based on player analysis. The former is a basic blanket way of doing it because of a lack of processing power.

It hasn't mattered how good a games AI has been thus far, after a while you adapt to a predictable pattern in AI behavior. PVP and PVM could eventually be very hard to distinguish between with analytics.
---
CAUTION: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE
#40Knight2520Posted 9/6/2013 4:13:10 PM
from what I understand SimCity just disabled enough to the game to render it not-properly-playable if you weren't connected to the servers.

Um, no. On release, SimCity kicked you out of the game if you were disconnected for more than an hour, IIRC. Without saving.
---
The RSX is just there to bottleneck the Cell. Otherwise it would transform into an autobot and destroy your living room - premature tyrant