This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can an i7 920 beat the new jaguar processor in the ps4?

#21_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/6/2013 6:18:27 AM
crawdad posted...
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
I would not base my decision on which platform to play on based on slight graphical advantages... at all. Regardless of which platform that advantage goes to. For example, the gaming library and default input device is more important to me personally.

I think examples like sub 720p @30fps vs 1200p @ 60+fps and things like particle effects and reflectve surfaces as well as higher player counts. are a bit more than slight advantages,

And default inteface doesn't matter especially now more than ever seeing as almost every single game now supports gamepads (with some ridiculous reason excepting Mass Effect series) and if they don't there's xpadder.

It really comes down to 1st party and exclusives. Seeing as KH3 and MGSV and Dead Rising 3 are all coming to XBone I'm getting that. But i will keep my PC up to date as well.

I agree and disagree. I agree that there can be more than slight graphical advantages, and whether a game runs at 30FPS or 60FPS affects not only the way it looks but also overall playability. However, I was talking about slight graphical differences. I find that people put too much stock into the resolution of the textures, or how much AA there is, ambient occlusion, or the way shadows are rendered. Not that those things do not matter, or that there is anything wrong with caring about those things. The reason why I said that is because in this board it is always the main argument when comparing the platforms, but I think there are other things that matter just as much or more.

And default input device does matter.... a lot. It is the reason we do not see entire genres on the console. Where are the MOBA , RTS or even to a large extent MMO's? The reason they are not there is that the translation from keyboard and mouse to gamepad is hard to do for most of the games in these genres. But it also matters in games like FPS. Competitive online gaming is a big thing and few people buy games like COD or Battlefield only for the single player experience. When you go online, you simply can not compete with a gamepad on the PC. You are pretty much forced to go mouse and keyboard. The opposite is also true. Even if you manage to use a mouse and keyboard on the console, you are effectively cheating. The default input device changes your overall experience on the platform in a lot of ways, and often, you are pretty much stuck to it. I know there are alternatives in some games, like wheels for racing games etc. But that is why I specifically said default input device.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#22DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/6/2013 8:48:11 AM
Your i7 is still miles ahead of those 8-core jaguars.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#23WeaponX1138Posted 9/6/2013 9:07:26 AM
Comparing the two is like saying a combine harvester is faster than a porsche because it has more horse power.

It's apples and oranges.
---
Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom. STEAM ID: Silentmark1138
#24ShebeskiiPosted 9/8/2013 7:54:12 AM
WeaponX1138 posted...
Comparing the two is like saying a combine harvester is faster than a porsche because it has more horse power.

It's apples and oranges.

It's not like that because the i7 is faster in a straight line and can carry more load.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#25Master_BassPosted 9/8/2013 8:03:39 AM
Yeah, the i7 920 is still a good CPU. I only just replaced mine last week.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#26DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/8/2013 8:27:08 AM
WeaponX1138 posted...

It's apples and oranges.

It's more like comparing two cars from different brands, and one is just plain faster in every regard.
---
Want that Shield!
#27godplaysSNESPosted 9/8/2013 8:34:34 AM
The i7 920 was truly before its time.
It's almost five years old by now, and it still goes strong!
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#28DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/8/2013 8:40:18 AM
Or AMD just fell behind hardcore.
---
Want that Shield!
#29godplaysSNESPosted 9/8/2013 8:52:59 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Or AMD just fell behind hardcore.

That's one way to see it, but even Intel hasn't made huge leaps in IPC since SB

The Phenom II and Core 2 Quad CPUs are for sure showing their age now though, even an SB i3 with HT can perform better even in games that use four cores/threads
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#30animanganimePosted 9/8/2013 9:08:48 AM
Power is irrelevant if said system does not play the games you really want to play.
---
WC i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz, 2x GTX 670 DirectCU II, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3, Zalman 1000W PSU, Cosmos 1000 Case, HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 IPS