This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a new video card... but which?

#21overkillwfo1978Posted 9/5/2013 7:40:48 PM
SychosisDragon posted...
There's nothing wrong with the processor. I can add a few more gb's of RAM no problem. As for the price of the card, I don't really want to spend more than 150 but if I need to, I can.

lol. You said in your first post, money isn't an issue. Obviously it is a huge issue in your case. A top end graphics card is ~400 bux. The rest of your system is outdated for today's games and will bottleneck any thing you buy.
---
"Even if you go by the cheapest price the game has ever been anywhere, psn+ would still be cheaper by at least 3 fold". DemonDog on psn+ vs. Steam
#22SychosisDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 6:16:46 PM
overkillwfo1978 posted...

lol. You said in your first post, money isn't an issue. Obviously it is a huge issue in your case.

It isn't an issue. But it's also nonsensical to spend 400 dollars on one piece of equipment for a computer.
---
"It detects those that are awesome. Which you are not.
I, however, get showered with cookies whenever I merely choose a song to play." - Renamon_mang
#23NicodimusPosted 9/6/2013 6:19:59 PM
SychosisDragon posted...
overkillwfo1978 posted...

lol. You said in your first post, money isn't an issue. Obviously it is a huge issue in your case.

It isn't an issue. But it's also nonsensical to spend 400 dollars on one piece of equipment for a computer.

That's your opinion, but since the GPU makes the largest impact on your system in terms of gaming, many of us can easily justify spending $400 or more every 2-3 years.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#24SychosisDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 6:21:24 PM
I'm not speaking for anyone else. Just myself. I came here to ask a question, not hear trolls' opinions because what I want isn't what they want.
---
I, however, get showered with cookies whenever I merely choose a song to play." - Renamon_mang
#25TiamatKillerPosted 9/6/2013 6:22:22 PM
>TC asks for help
>TC gets realistic responses
>turns volatile

lolk
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @900MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
#26SychosisDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 6:24:56 PM
Ahh I remember the days when you could ask for help, get an answer, and not get trolled. What happened to civility?
---
#27DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/6/2013 6:29:27 PM
First generation Phenoms don't do the best job of keeping up with modern games. Even second generation Phenoms are pretty lame.
If you want something to last a while, requirement wise, then your CPU needs to be upgraded. It's already below min-spec in some cases, and it's not getting any newer.

In terms of a setup with good longevity, a Core i5 ivy bridge or haswell CPU and at least a HD7850 will hold up pretty well through the next console generation.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#28OldSorrowPosted 9/6/2013 6:38:01 PM
TiamatKiller posted...
>TC asks for help
>TC gets realistic responses
>turns volatile

lolk
#29JockoPosted 9/6/2013 7:39:25 PM
SychosisDragon posted...
What exactly bottlenecks the GPU? And will this MSI 7770 show a noticeable boost in performance over my old card?

In general RTS and MMO games tend to put a lot of strain on your CPU while FPS games and action games like Tomb Raider are more GPU driven.

TheFeshPince picked out an outstanding value card that will go well with your computer. I highly recommend it and you won't be breaking your bank. You'll be able to play newer games at low to medium settings. It's a hell of a lot better than what you had before.

Most of the posters here are hardcore enthusiasts that wouldn't be able to stomach playing on medium or below settings that's why they're so adamant about wanting you to build a whole new rig.

As far as your RAM situation goes make sure you know the maximum amount and type of RAM your motherboard can take. Use the Crucial online scanner to find out:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

Hope this helps.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#30JockoPosted 9/6/2013 7:53:50 PM
Oh and to run that card (or any other modern card) your power supply needs to have a 6 pin PCI-E power cable to power it and have enough wattage to give it enough juice. If you don't have this connector there are converter cables that can convert two free molex power connectors and convert them into one 6 pin PCI-E connector. If your power supply isn't a high enough wattage you'll have to replace it. So to sum things up add up all these costs and see if it's worth it to you to upgrade.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.