This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is Windows 8 for old games?

#1Rama_IIIPosted 9/5/2013 9:49:07 PM
I still see a lot of mixed opinions, but arguments usually seem to be about the UI. It's awful, I know, but I can get over it so long as old games run as well as they do on Windows 7.

DOSBox is the most important thing, I guess. I used to have to configure every game individually and use a frontend like D-Fend to manage them, but between Steam and GOG I really don't need to that anymore.

I'm looking for people that actually know what kinds of games I'm talking about. If your idea of an old PC game is Morrowind, or Deus Ex...you're not the kind of veteran I'm looking for.
---
The Garden Of Rama
Arthur C. Clarke is the one true God.
#2TimePharaohPosted 9/5/2013 9:51:29 PM(edited)
I was playing PC games when they were still PA games I can gives u knowledge?
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#32Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 9/5/2013 10:05:01 PM
I just tested it on Lords of the Realm which uses DOSBox on Windows 8. It booted alright, but in a weird resolution and no sound, and when I closed the game my screen was glitching to the point where I had to restart my computer using the switch on the front. Then I tried booting Lords of the Realm 2 which I think also uses DOSBox. I would get a black screen for a second and then nothing, and when I checked my processes nothing was there.

So from my personal experience Windows 8 doesn't work well for old games.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#4Rama_III(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 10:05:56 PM
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
I just tested it on Lords of the Realm which uses DOSBox on Windows 8. It booted alright, but in a weird resolution and no sound, and when I closed the game my screen was glitching to the point where I had to restart my computer using the switch on the front. Then I tried booting Lords of the Realm 2 which I think also uses DOSBox. I would get a black screen for a second and then nothing, and when I checked my processes nothing was there.

So from my personal experience Windows 8 doesn't work well for old games.

That's exactly the kind of thing that worries me...
---
The Garden Of Rama
#5Chaos_MissilePosted 9/5/2013 10:29:16 PM
Rama_III posted...
I still see a lot of mixed opinions, but arguments usually seem to be about the UI. It's awful, I know, but I can get over it so long as old games run as well as they do on Windows 7.

DOSBox is the most important thing, I guess. I used to have to configure every game individually and use a frontend like D-Fend to manage them, but between Steam and GOG I really don't need to that anymore.

I'm looking for people that actually know what kinds of games I'm talking about. If your idea of an old PC game is Morrowind, or Deus Ex...you're not the kind of veteran I'm looking for.

My ideas of an old PC game are Warcraft 2, Princess Maker 2 and C&C: TD. Also, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Are you looking for me? >_>
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#6Rama_III(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 10:36:05 PM
Those are comparatively newer and mostly Windows-based IIRC, but if you've played around with that generation of games I'd be glad to hear about your experiences.
---
The Garden Of Rama
#7LB3Posted 9/6/2013 12:11:31 AM
I have Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines on mine and it works fine.
---
PSN: Bwleon7 Steam: bwleon79
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. -Albert Einstein
#8TheWhoFanPosted 9/6/2013 5:48:18 AM(edited)
Is is really that hard to give examples of the games you intend to run? I guess so.

For what is worth, the last time I tried Crystal Caves, it run fine.
---
"On a technical level, PC obviously. But because PC and Xbox have no games, PS3 wins." - ScreamingMidget
They don't even try anymore.
#9TwinqePosted 9/6/2013 7:22:41 AM
I half expected someone to mention Modern Warfare 2 plays just fine on Win8
---
i5 3570K @ 4.0GHz | MSI Z77A-G45 | MSI GTX 760 | Corsair GS 600 | Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair Vengeance 8GB | Corsair GS 600 | CM Storm Scout II
#10ShubPosted 9/6/2013 7:27:22 AM(edited)
I haven't had any problems with DOSBox in Windows 8. Most recently I was replaying through Jagged Alliance.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.