This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is Windows 8 for old games?

#11SinisterSlayPosted 9/6/2013 6:31:59 AM
I mostly heard that games directx8 and older are still broken, but that's mostly nvidia and amd's faults as their drivers don't support that old version of directx.

There is a project going on to wrap directx in directx so that the old API's work in newer versions. But far as I know, it hasn't gotten very far yet.

I've had some success using glide wrappers instead for old games that supported 3dfx as an alternative.

playing mtm2 at 1080p (which is nice as game only supports 640 x 480 but gets upscaled perfectly by the wrapper) gets 40-60fps on my 9600gt, so not bad as far as efficiency goes.
For reference though, without the wrapper and running native directx (even if it doesn't really work) gets between 300 and 400 fps.

Not sure if you can view this link, but here.
http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?t=7128&start=0
This can be applied to any 3dfx game, I am using it currently for Carmageddon 2.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#12_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 9/6/2013 6:59:52 AM
I've played Fallout 1, 2, Baldurs Gate, Morrowind, StarCraft Broodwar and the like fine on windows 8. Haven't tried anything DOS or older but everything else I've tried works beautifully.
---
i5 4670k| 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3| EVGA GTX 780|Alienware m17x
http://i.imgur.com/j8vZrBQ.jpg
#13Fade2black001Posted 9/6/2013 7:03:33 AM
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
I just tested it on Lords of the Realm which uses DOSBox on Windows 8. It booted alright, but in a weird resolution and no sound, and when I closed the game my screen was glitching to the point where I had to restart my computer using the switch on the front. Then I tried booting Lords of the Realm 2 which I think also uses DOSBox. I would get a black screen for a second and then nothing, and when I checked my processes nothing was there.

So from my personal experience Windows 8 doesn't work well for old games.

That would not be a Windows problem. That would be a problem with DOSBox not emulated the game correctly.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#142Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 9/6/2013 7:04:56 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
I just tested it on Lords of the Realm which uses DOSBox on Windows 8. It booted alright, but in a weird resolution and no sound, and when I closed the game my screen was glitching to the point where I had to restart my computer using the switch on the front. Then I tried booting Lords of the Realm 2 which I think also uses DOSBox. I would get a black screen for a second and then nothing, and when I checked my processes nothing was there.

That would not be a Windows problem. That would be a problem with DOSBox not emulated the game correctly.

Well it worked on my Windows 7 computer. Is there some way I can fix DOSBox?
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#15SinisterSlayPosted 9/6/2013 7:15:30 AM
Oh I forgot.

There are some games, primarily windows 3.1/95 era, that hide your mouse by moving it to the bottom right corner.

Which then triggers the charms bar and it overlaps the game causing it to flicker.

And a few RTS games active the charms bar by accident.

I am not sure why, I guess these are the fake full screen games that just use a window sized to the whole screen.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#16Fade2black001Posted 9/6/2013 7:25:52 AM
Fade2black001 posted...

Well it worked on my Windows 7 computer. Is there some way I can fix DOSBox?

If it worked on 7 then maybe it is a Windows problem. Interesting....
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#17nameless0101Posted 9/6/2013 8:49:28 AM
From my experience so far, if it worked on Windows 7 it'll more than likely work on 8.

From a compatibility perspective there pretty much the same.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag DeludedFool
PSN Name also DeludedFool
#18Rama_III(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 1:31:17 PM
TheWhoFan posted...
Is is really that hard to give examples of the games you intend to run? I guess so.

DOSBox emulates DOS almost perfectly if you get it working right. That's why I mentioned it specifically. Giving examples of games that use DOSBox is kind of redundant, but off the top of my head...the Crusader games...the earlier Theme games (Hospital, Park)...I dunno, there's tons. I was just looking for someone that at the very least was able to play (or not play) games on DOSBox.

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'll go with 8 and just make whatever modifications I need to to the UI to make it look like a real computer instead of a tablet or a Mac.
---
The Garden Of Rama
Arthur C. Clarke is the one true God.