This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

$3200 for my new build and I haven't even picked a video card yet...

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. $3200 for my new build and I haven't even picked a video card yet...

User Info: steveboblarry

steveboblarry
3 years ago#21
KidInTheHall posted...
Why not SLI Windows 8 as well? I heard it gives you the performance of Windows 13.

Lol wouldn't it be windows 16
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy

User Info: Rama_III

Rama_III
3 years ago#22
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1AJhu

It's purely for gaming.

Ok, so I've changed the motherboard to a Maximus VI Extreme, the CPU to a 4770K, and the 750W power supply to an 850W one. I'm not sure if that last one is necessary, but I guess it can't hurt. I'll wait for the new Corsair cases to come out and replace the one I have now.

I'm especially open to suggestions on the motherboard/video card/CPU combination. Historically I've always asked others and went with the general consensus. That's why I appreciate every bit of advice you guys give.

I forgot to mention I already have a pretty heavy duty CyberPower UPS (900W...model 1500 or something like that).
The Garden Of Rama
Arthur C. Clarke is the one true God.

User Info: Shub

Shub
3 years ago#23
Rama_III posted...
Ok, so I've changed the motherboard to a Maximus VI Extreme, the CPU to a 4770K, and the 750W power supply to an 850W one. I'm not sure if that last one is necessary, but I guess it can't hurt.

You're right, the 850W PSU can't hurt, but it's quite unnecessary. A good 750W can power that system and a pair of most video cards you can buy, even GTX 780s or Titans.
Regardless, you can save $50 by getting this PSU instead: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1850bbefx
It's the same PSU inside the casing (as made by Seasonic), so the only difference is Corsair's 7-year warranty vs. XFX's 5-year warranty.

Is there a reason why you're getting a top of the line motherboard? It's really expensive and yields a very poor value for its price.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Rama_III
3 years ago#24
Shub posted...
Rama_III posted...
Ok, so I've changed the motherboard to a Maximus VI Extreme, the CPU to a 4770K, and the 750W power supply to an 850W one. I'm not sure if that last one is necessary, but I guess it can't hurt.

You're right, the 850W PSU can't hurt, but it's quite unnecessary. A good 750W can power that system and a pair of most video cards you can buy, even GTX 780s or Titans.
Regardless, you can save $50 by getting this PSU instead: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1850bbefx
It's the same PSU inside the casing (as made by Seasonic), so the only difference is Corsair's 7-year warranty vs. XFX's 5-year warranty.

Is there a reason why you're getting a top of the line motherboard? It's really expensive and yields a very poor value for its price.

Nope. I've made all my decisions based on the scores given on that website. I have no idea how to pick equally (or almost equally) powerful parts that are cheaper. I can't find an up-to-date, helpful bar chart like the ones Tomshardware puts out for graphics cards, so yeah...I'm just going with the highest number of stars.
The Garden Of Rama

Rama_III
3 years ago#25
So...if you have a better combination I'm more than happy to make changes. Especially if it saves me a few bucks.
The Garden Of Rama

Shub
3 years ago#26
Here's an idea: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1AKSj
Unless you really, really want a full tower, I would get something smaller since a good mid tower still has plenty of space, but that's up to you. And you can get a cheaper video card, but that 780 is quite nice.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

User Info: SScorpio

SScorpio
3 years ago#27
Isn't socket 2011 quad channel? If so why are you only getting two sticks of memory?

User Info: capgamer

capgamer
3 years ago#28
Your build is a lot like mine except you went for a fancy schmancy processor and motherboard and I went for more modest options.
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown

Shub
3 years ago#29
SScorpio posted...
Isn't socket 2011 quad channel? If so why are you only getting two sticks of memory?

Technically, it's not a requirement to use four DIMMs, and the difference in performance is minimal, but he has since changed his build to Haswell, so it's no longer of importance :)
-What is best in life?

Rama_III
3 years ago#30
capgamer posted...
Your build is a lot like mine except you went for a fancy schmancy processor and motherboard and I went for more modest options.

Haha yeah...like I said, I just picked whatever had high ratings.

That build looks really good, Shub. I know the 780 is a top-tier card and I can't imagine the new AMD cards being that much better. If I get impatient, and I probably will, I'll probably order that build.
The Garden Of Rama
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. $3200 for my new build and I haven't even picked a video card yet...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived