This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

$3200 for my new build and I haven't even picked a video card yet...

#21steveboblarryPosted 9/6/2013 2:11:49 PM
KidInTheHall posted...
Why not SLI Windows 8 as well? I heard it gives you the performance of Windows 13.

Lol wouldn't it be windows 16
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#22Rama_III(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 2:43:56 PM(edited)
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1AJhu

It's purely for gaming.

Ok, so I've changed the motherboard to a Maximus VI Extreme, the CPU to a 4770K, and the 750W power supply to an 850W one. I'm not sure if that last one is necessary, but I guess it can't hurt. I'll wait for the new Corsair cases to come out and replace the one I have now.

I'm especially open to suggestions on the motherboard/video card/CPU combination. Historically I've always asked others and went with the general consensus. That's why I appreciate every bit of advice you guys give.

I forgot to mention I already have a pretty heavy duty CyberPower UPS (900W...model 1500 or something like that).
---
The Garden Of Rama
Arthur C. Clarke is the one true God.
#23ShubPosted 9/6/2013 2:33:05 PM
Rama_III posted...
Ok, so I've changed the motherboard to a Maximus VI Extreme, the CPU to a 4770K, and the 750W power supply to an 850W one. I'm not sure if that last one is necessary, but I guess it can't hurt.

You're right, the 850W PSU can't hurt, but it's quite unnecessary. A good 750W can power that system and a pair of most video cards you can buy, even GTX 780s or Titans.
Regardless, you can save $50 by getting this PSU instead: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1850bbefx
It's the same PSU inside the casing (as made by Seasonic), so the only difference is Corsair's 7-year warranty vs. XFX's 5-year warranty.

Is there a reason why you're getting a top of the line motherboard? It's really expensive and yields a very poor value for its price.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#24Rama_III(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 2:37:27 PM
Shub posted...
Rama_III posted...
Ok, so I've changed the motherboard to a Maximus VI Extreme, the CPU to a 4770K, and the 750W power supply to an 850W one. I'm not sure if that last one is necessary, but I guess it can't hurt.

You're right, the 850W PSU can't hurt, but it's quite unnecessary. A good 750W can power that system and a pair of most video cards you can buy, even GTX 780s or Titans.
Regardless, you can save $50 by getting this PSU instead: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1850bbefx
It's the same PSU inside the casing (as made by Seasonic), so the only difference is Corsair's 7-year warranty vs. XFX's 5-year warranty.

Is there a reason why you're getting a top of the line motherboard? It's really expensive and yields a very poor value for its price.

Nope. I've made all my decisions based on the scores given on that website. I have no idea how to pick equally (or almost equally) powerful parts that are cheaper. I can't find an up-to-date, helpful bar chart like the ones Tomshardware puts out for graphics cards, so yeah...I'm just going with the highest number of stars.
---
The Garden Of Rama
#25Rama_III(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 2:44:33 PM
So...if you have a better combination I'm more than happy to make changes. Especially if it saves me a few bucks.
---
The Garden Of Rama
#26ShubPosted 9/6/2013 3:52:21 PM
Here's an idea: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1AKSj
Unless you really, really want a full tower, I would get something smaller since a good mid tower still has plenty of space, but that's up to you. And you can get a cheaper video card, but that 780 is quite nice.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#27SScorpioPosted 9/6/2013 4:02:53 PM
Isn't socket 2011 quad channel? If so why are you only getting two sticks of memory?
#28capgamerPosted 9/6/2013 4:20:31 PM
Your build is a lot like mine except you went for a fancy schmancy processor and motherboard and I went for more modest options.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#29ShubPosted 9/6/2013 4:23:18 PM
SScorpio posted...
Isn't socket 2011 quad channel? If so why are you only getting two sticks of memory?

Technically, it's not a requirement to use four DIMMs, and the difference in performance is minimal, but he has since changed his build to Haswell, so it's no longer of importance :)
---
-What is best in life?
#30Rama_III(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 4:25:11 PM
capgamer posted...
Your build is a lot like mine except you went for a fancy schmancy processor and motherboard and I went for more modest options.

Haha yeah...like I said, I just picked whatever had high ratings.

That build looks really good, Shub. I know the 780 is a top-tier card and I can't imagine the new AMD cards being that much better. If I get impatient, and I probably will, I'll probably order that build.
---
The Garden Of Rama