This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Nvidia Shield" Review

#11DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/6/2013 6:44:52 AM(edited)
Voelger posted...
Can I ask a few questions?

1. Are the emulators on android purchased as an app? Or do you have to connect to a pc?

2. Pc streaming- how far can you take your shield from your pc/router before it is unplayable?

3. Pc streaming- is you computer with the gtx680 wired via Ethernet to the router or is everything wireless wifi?

4. Pc streaming- have you noticed a problem with screen size playing certain games? Like you can't read dialogue?

5. How is the media stuff on the shield? Surfing the web, YouTube, twitter?

6. Is it fat and snappy? They say its like four times faster than a vita!

7. I can't freaking wait to get one!

8. I have a laptop (Clevo) with a gtx 680m gpu. I know that nvidia doesn't support streaming from mobile gpus, but is there any word on it being supported later?

9. Do you recommend buying any I the accessories? Like the carting case or the shield replacements- carbon or black

10. Thanks for all this info

I think I can answer a few of these.

1: You can purchase, or even download for free, some emulators from the Google Play store. However, some of these are plagiarized from PC emulators, and sold at a profit without consent from or credit to the original authors, so you should feel bad for using them.
Retroarch is free, however, and can be downloaded from the Play store.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.retroarch&hl=en
In fact, nVidia even sent a free, no-strings shield to at least one of the Retroarch developers so that they could get it up and running in top form on Shield.
I believe DraStic is also a respectful port, and can be downloaded for ~$8.

2: Depends on your router, mode, and location. It's recommended to use 5GHz for optimal distance, but you get interference from walls and objects this way. 2.4GHz channel is fine if you don't live in a crowded area, but gets messy in city areas.

6: It's the fastest Android device on the market. That A15 is running circles around expected real-world performance, probably in no small part thanks to the active cooling. It's actually been compared to older laptop or even lower-end desktop parts from ~2006 or so in some cases.(Core 2 Duo, for example) By my estimates, it's anywhere from 3-5x faster than Vita, and apparently can hit 2.5ghz if you root it.

7: It will be supported down the line provided it's a Kepler GPU. Pretty sure 680m is Kepler.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#12Fade2black001Posted 9/6/2013 6:55:03 AM
Trance_Fan posted...
the nvidia shield 2 is going to be the real deal..the first one is a beta test

nvidia already anoonuced shield 2 is in the works, it'll have 5.5" 1080p screen, thin bezel, tegra 5, 3gb ram

Once again this guy is pulling crap out of his ass. This guy is never right. Im shocked he doesnt get ban from all the false info he spreads.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#13SinisterSlayPosted 9/6/2013 6:58:05 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Voelger posted...

1. Are the emulators on android purchased as an app? Or do you have to connect to a pc?

2. Pc streaming- how far can you take your shield from your pc/router before it is unplayable?

3. Pc streaming- is you computer with the gtx680 wired via Ethernet to the router or is everything wireless wifi?

4. Pc streaming- have you noticed a problem with screen size playing certain games? Like you can't read dialogue?

8. I have a laptop (Clevo) with a gtx 680m gpu. I know that nvidia doesn't support streaming from mobile gpus, but is there any word on it being supported later?

9. Do you recommend buying any I the accessories? Like the carting case or the shield replacements- carbon or black

1: You can purchase, or even download for free, some emulators from the Google Play store. However, some of these are plagiarized from PC emulators, and sold at a profit without consent from or credit to the original authors, so you should feel bad for using them.
In fact, nVidia even sent a free, no-strings shield to at least one of the Retroarch developers so that they could get it up and running in top form on Shield.

2: Depends on your router, mode, and location. It's recommended to use 5GHz for optimal distance, but you get interference from walls and objects this way. 2.4GHz channel is fine if you don't live in a crowded area, but gets messy in city areas.

6: It's the fastest Android device on the market. That A15 is running circles around expected real-world performance, probably in no small part thanks to the active cooling. It's actually been compared to older laptop or even lower-end desktop parts from ~2006 or so in some cases.(Core 2 Duo, for example) By my estimates, it's anywhere from 3-5x faster than Vita, and apparently can hit 2.5ghz if you root it.

7: It will be supported down the line provided it's a Kepler GPU. Pretty sure 680m is Kepler.

Really? They encouraged illegal emulation.

I suddenly have greater respect for nVidia :)
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#14DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/6/2013 7:29:59 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Voelger posted...

Really? They encouraged illegal emulation.

I suddenly have greater respect for nVidia :)

Yup. Lots of the employees talked about how much they like playing old videogames on it up to it's release, too. :D
---
Want that Shield!
#15SinisterSlayPosted 9/6/2013 7:33:13 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Yup. Lots of the employees talked about how much they like playing old videogames on it up to it's release, too. :D

Too bad it's probably really far from accurate emulation.
Although the PS1 emulation was pretty good.
And the SNES9x emulator does a good job, if a bit slow running unless you have at least a tegra3.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#16DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/6/2013 7:46:40 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

And the SNES9x emulator does a good job, if a bit slow running unless you have at least a tegra3.

Actually, everything short of Dreamcast and PSP is supposed to pretty much be 100%, with a large amount of simpler PSP titles more than playable.
---
Want that Shield!
#17SinisterSlayPosted 9/6/2013 7:48:27 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Actually, everything short of Dreamcast and PSP is supposed to pretty much be 100%, with a large amount of simpler PSP titles more than playable.

Well we already know SNES takes 3ghz. Tablets aren't producing that yet.
---
#18farigontiPosted 9/6/2013 7:52:57 AM
Awesome
---
FC= 3265-4867-8550
#19DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/6/2013 7:53:00 AM
For electrical emulation. You're not going to see electrical emulation of a Playstation any time soon, on anything.
---
Want that Shield!
#20SinisterSlayPosted 9/6/2013 8:01:00 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
For electrical emulation. You're not going to see electrical emulation of a Playstation any time soon, on anything.

Hopefully emulation will get easier as modern games are less framerate sensitive, they actually calculate their frame speed and adjust game speed to match, just like a PC game.
---