This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Nvidia Shield" Review

#41SinisterSlayPosted 9/6/2013 4:50:21 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
For electrical emulation. You're not going to see electrical emulation of a Playstation any time soon, on anything.

Hopefully emulation will get easier as modern games are less framerate sensitive, they actually calculate their frame speed and adjust game speed to match, just like a PC game.

That won't make anything easier.
Electrical emulation involves calculating an electrical current running through a system. So, every single cycle takes thousands of cycles to accurately reproduce.

What will make emulation easier is that no one compiles directly to hardware anymore. So, it's all decoding high level instructions.

Yes but a x360 and ps3 game shouldn't care what framerate it runs at anymore. So duplicate the API's and you should be done.

It's not like previous consoles, where things down to bandwidth speeds had to be emulated.

There should be no reason why a PS3 game couldn't run anywhere between 10fps (like the console lol) to 300 fps.

Actually, lots of times emulators run better than the original hardware, and most console hardware can be overclocked to improve performance. However, console games are still programmed with framerate limitations.
Doesn't really make emulation any easier.

Go over clock your n64 and get back to me.

Old games slowed down when frame rate slowed. Frames had to be consistent.
That's not a issue anymore. You don't have to worry that this frame buffer runs interlaced, this process runs at 1mhz and this other one at 5mhz etc. You don't have to code for special chips that can be included in games.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#42DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/6/2013 5:00:34 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Hopefully emulation will get easier as modern games are less framerate sensitive, they actually calculate their frame speed and adjust game speed to match, just like a PC game.

That won't make anything easier.
Electrical emulation involves calculating an electrical current running through a system. So, every single cycle takes thousands of cycles to accurately reproduce.

What will make emulation easier is that no one compiles directly to hardware anymore. So, it's all decoding high level instructions.

Yes but a x360 and ps3 game shouldn't care what framerate it runs at anymore. So duplicate the API's and you should be done.

It's not like previous consoles, where things down to bandwidth speeds had to be emulated.

There should be no reason why a PS3 game couldn't run anywhere between 10fps (like the console lol) to 300 fps.

Actually, lots of times emulators run better than the original hardware, and most console hardware can be overclocked to improve performance. However, console games are still programmed with framerate limitations.
Doesn't really make emulation any easier.

Go over clock your n64 and get back to me.

Old games slowed down when frame rate slowed. Frames had to be consistent.
That's not a issue anymore. You don't have to worry that this frame buffer runs interlaced, this process runs at 1mhz and this other one at 5mhz etc. You don't have to code for special chips that can be included in games.

Funny you should mention that: N64 sees some of the biggest benefits from increased virtual clockspeed.

Old games slowed down because that's how game logic worked. Not hardware logic. Timings haven't needed to be that precise in a very, very long time.

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=242.0
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#43SinisterSlayPosted 9/6/2013 5:12:38 PM(edited)
Exactly, software logic, which has been flawed in the last few generations.
The x3 and ps3 gen were written a bit better.

Edit- that link is full of people saying the mod broke xxx game.
Showing some really required that speed. Probably the games that are console "optimized" that we always hear about.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#44DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/6/2013 5:12:09 PM
Except that they still run capped framerates.
If anything, the overhead of calculating a variable framerate will hurt performance.
---
Want that Shield!
#45SinisterSlayPosted 9/6/2013 5:15:21 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
If anything, the overhead of calculating a variable framerate will hurt performance.

Buy they all do now anyways. Look at ps3 skyrim. It varies from 5 to 25 constantly.
Vsync wouldn't be needed if they always hit the cap but they don't.
And really, calculating frame latency is easy compared to everything else being done.
---
#46DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/6/2013 5:18:21 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Buy they all do now anyways. Look at ps3 skyrim. It varies from 5 to 25 constantly.
Vsync wouldn't be needed if they always hit the cap but they don't.
And really, calculating frame latency is easy compared to everything else being done.

Right, but that's not going to make it any easier to emulate, nor does it change that the games are almost always capped at ~30fps.
---
Want that Shield!
#47GoIrish80Posted 9/7/2013 12:57:56 PM
I bought one on Craigslist yesterday for $225.

Took me a little bit to get it setup but once you do, it's pretty awesome. It's definitely a niche disposable income type device, but it's sweet.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#48SamusFarron(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 10:31:03 AM
bump
---
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4062/lightningrocks.gif
Asuka>>>>>>>Rei
#49GoIrish80Posted 9/8/2013 3:27:07 PM
The more I use it, the more I like it.

Thing is an emulation beast and the streaming is really solid. There's a great foundation here. I'd like to see a slightly bigger screen and just a tad less bulk to it, but I'm impressed.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#50DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/8/2013 4:05:37 PM
GoIrish80 posted...
The more I use it, the more I like it.

Thing is an emulation beast and the streaming is really solid. There's a great foundation here. I'd like to see a slightly bigger screen and just a tad less bulk to it, but I'm impressed.

This is pretty much what I've been seeing since the device was announced. Everyone's been quick to dismiss it before trying it, but pretty much all the hands on impressions have been positive.
---
Want that Shield!