This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trails in the Sky FC (Winter) and SC (2014) from Ys Creators hitting steam

#21SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/6/2013 9:19:51 AM(edited)
Fade2black001 posted...
Sinfullyvannila posted...
I understand that the concept doesn't appeal to you, I'm just trying to explain that is one thing that goes along with it being a "PS1-style" RPG. Very easy game with a huge focus on story, characters and music, with minimal dependency on the gameplay elements. That's what was popular in the PS1 days. The gameplay elements are there to complement the enjoyment of everything else.

What it is called is a "PS1-style RPG".

Explain this to me please. I mean sure it LOOKS like a PS1 RPG but I never played a RPG that's setup like Trails in the Sky is. All the RPG's I played on PS1 you had to level up and get equipment to progress further in the game. Trails in the Sky is the exact opposite. So please enlighten me what a "PS1 style RPG" is.

Umm, don't really know what you're talking about, because FF7 and Grandia were both easier than this game.

Heck, FF8 is easier the lower your level.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#22helldewPosted 9/6/2013 9:26:19 AM
it has difficulty settings and nightmare is hard as hell. i dont know what your saying with the whole combat sucks thing the combat is rather good. if you cant stand turnbased RPG fine. but for a turn based RPG the combat is a ton of fun its not the best thing ever but i thought it was pretty good. it gets vastly improved in the later games to.

on normal mode yeah its fairly easy until later on in the game where the challenge starts building up. the game is about atmosphere and world building. every single NPC in a town has a a ton of lines of dialogue they all talk after pretty much every single event and they have a ton of personality and charm. the games story does progress really slowly but its very well done and extremely well written with amazingly good dialogue and tons of charm. character development is always extremely subtle but there and you will definitely notice characters growing throughout the series.

the other thing i dont know how not a soul mentioned this is the music. the music is excellent. the overworld the town themes etc they are just so suiting they are styled really well and sound great and my biggest pet peve is probably the battle theme which after getting used to it sounds a lot better (its different) and the later on themes just sound better and better. SC (second chapter) which is the second game that's coming out later has stupidly good music to.

honestly there is a reason i followed this game for 3 years after it came out in english its hands down one of my favorite most memorable JRPGs ive played in the last decade. again it is slow and takes a while to get into but damn its worth playing through to the end.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#23QuestofChosenPosted 9/6/2013 9:46:02 AM
Great. Now release Ys Seven on steam please.
#24LevittaPosted 9/6/2013 9:48:21 AM
QuestofChosen posted...
Great. Now release Ys Seven on steam please.

A Chinese company has shown interest in bring their Ys Seven port out in English already:
http://www.esterior.net/2013/04/pc-version-of-ys-seven-in-english/
---
Trails in the Sky(PSP) has some of the best writing and most fleshed out setting I've seen in a RPG. Check it out if you're looking for an excellent RPG.
#25Nightmare2398Posted 9/6/2013 10:21:31 AM
if any tales games made it to PC i'd lose it.

imagine how awesome tales of vesperia or xillia or abyss would look on PC...
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: VegetarianEater
"This is very heavy, and this, may I remind you, is on fire." -Moony (Moony and Broon Show)
#26Chaos_MissilePosted 9/6/2013 10:37:09 AM
Mogu_Mogu posted...
Meh... no thanks. >_>
I already played a different version of that game called Tales of the Abyss... =_=

Would it help if I told you that this is apparently one of the top 5 JRPG series in Japan?

Final Fantasy series
Dragon Quest series
Ys series
Legend of Heroes/ Kiseki series
I think the Tales of might be one as well, but I dont remember.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#27pfantzypantzPosted 9/6/2013 10:50:44 AM
Nightmare2398 posted...
if any tales games made it to PC i'd lose it.

imagine how awesome tales of vesperia or xillia or abyss would look on PC...

I'd lose it so hard, they look great on emulator, but having official PC releases with the current gen games, oh man. Here's hoping, if these Japanese games that are coming out now on PC do well, there's a good chance man. So buy all of them.