This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To crossfire or not

#11VoelgerPosted 9/6/2013 3:16:37 PM
I do agree with above poster! I would get a gtx 770 instead for similar price of two of those cards
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#12ShebeskiiPosted 9/6/2013 4:04:13 PM
SamusFarron posted...
Crossfire and SLI, while neat, are pretty poor features overall. Both cards run slower when in multi-gpu mode, the second card literally working 50% of it's capacity at the absolute best. It will give you gains, but not enough to justify the expense in 95% of situations. A new single GPU is far more ideal and futureproof.

Not to mention, the biggest problem is just compatibility and bugs. It basically doesn't work, at all, a good deal of the time; and even when it does, it introduces a number of glitches and instabilities. Few games handle SLI well, and the few that do are typically games that you probably don't need that extra GPU for anyway. All the "benchmark" titles, the ones that actually test a modern gaming computer, basically don't function in SLI. Often, engaging SLI will lower FPS compared to using only one of the GPU's.

It's a cool novelty, but has little practical application and can generally be a total hassle to use.

If your CPU is fast enough you can max out both cards no problem. What you said is not true.

SLI works fine in almost every title. Again, almost completely untrue. May be closer to the truth for CF given frame pacing as AMD likes to call it, but not for SLI, at least not to a degree that it matters.

Everything you said is wrong.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#13SamusFarronPosted 9/6/2013 5:09:43 PM(edited)
Shebeskii posted...
SamusFarron posted...
Crossfire and SLI, while neat, are pretty poor features overall. Both cards run slower when in multi-gpu mode, the second card literally working 50% of it's capacity at the absolute best. It will give you gains, but not enough to justify the expense in 95% of situations. A new single GPU is far more ideal and futureproof.

Not to mention, the biggest problem is just compatibility and bugs. It basically doesn't work, at all, a good deal of the time; and even when it does, it introduces a number of glitches and instabilities. Few games handle SLI well, and the few that do are typically games that you probably don't need that extra GPU for anyway. All the "benchmark" titles, the ones that actually test a modern gaming computer, basically don't function in SLI. Often, engaging SLI will lower FPS compared to using only one of the GPU's.

It's a cool novelty, but has little practical application and can generally be a total hassle to use.

If your CPU is fast enough you can max out both cards no problem. What you said is not true.

SLI works fine in almost every title. Again, almost completely untrue. May be closer to the truth for CF given frame pacing as AMD likes to call it, but not for SLI, at least not to a degree that it matters.

Everything you said is wrong.

Hard freezing, application freezing, microstutter, erratic FPS, broken V-Sync and AA, artifacting and glitching. These things are not inherent to SLI or Crossfire. However, they all seem to be quite good friends. It's true, a lot of games that at one time failed with SLI currently perform fine with it; Typically, Multi-GPU issues are (mostly) ironed out at some point in time after release, albeit often with caveats.

But when your highly anticipated new game unlocks at midnight and you have to disable Multi-GPU because it isn't working, thus ending up lowering the settings down to play well with just one of your GPUs, that totally sucks. You paid the premium for the PC in expectation of those higher settings right now, not a driver update and three game patches later. Sure games launch with bugs, sometimes forcing us to make sacrifices even on single GPU's to play the game properly; but the instance ratio that single vs. sli/crossfire owners have to deal with that is like 1:10. And tri or quad Multi-GPU? Forget about it, at that point you're just paying for bragging rights. Nothing wrong with that, but don't think it was a good value.

I'm not saying SLI/Crossfire don't work, I'm saying they aren't worth the extra hassle - and there will be extra hassles. A new single GPU is a much better solution in most, but maybe not all, cases; as well it is a longer lasting upgrade investment. If you're paying for computer performance, it shouldn't be so hit or miss.

A perfect 100% increase in GPU processing is totally possible, but highly unlikely. Usually, launch games see GPU scaling in the realm of 20% to 30%, if it works. With the fully patched game some months later (and maybe a new GPU driver), it seems average GPU scaling hovers at 40% to 70%. Good, but this is later, and assuming it still even works properly. No matter how fast your CPU is there are very few demanding games, and never a newly launched title (that I know of), which come even close to 100% scaling.

I have nothing against SLI/Crossfire, it's actually pretty cool. It's just that it's broken just enough to really be a heavy deterrent for anything beyond kicks and giggles. Multi-GPU systems are just not as stable when playing games, a notable amount less stable actually, and that's basically a fact.
---
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4062/lightningrocks.gif
Asuka>>>>>>>Rei
#14ShebeskiiPosted 9/6/2013 5:41:34 PM
Hard freezing? What the hell are you on about?

SOME of the things you state are inherent issues with CROSSFIRE, not SLI. You're obviously talking out of your ass.

In the last year pretty much every game to release had an SLI profile the day before.

Bring up examples for your statements about scaling percentages. Give us any indication release scaling is 20 to 30%.

You sound like someone who has never owned an SLI setup. Did you own a CF setup and extrapolate? Don't do that, please.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#15gastamanPosted 9/6/2013 8:05:16 PM(edited)
SamusFarron posted...
And tri or quad Multi-GPU? Forget about it, at that point you're just paying for bragging rights. Nothing wrong with that, but don't think it was a good value.

I think it's a good value =) Also, in the while time that I've had this setup, I've not once experienced any hassle. Never had any of the issues you're complaining about.

SamusFarron posted...
No matter how fast your CPU is there are very few demanding games, and never a newly launched title (that I know of), which come even close to 100% scaling.

Tomb Raider was damn near 100% scaling. This was at launch, also, just FYI.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#16thetruth928(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 1:50:42 AM
Thanks you guys i really appreciate the advice. My psu and motherboard can handle it just fine. I have a sli setup so i know what i'm getting myself into. I might just keep my 580's since the buyer had a change of heart. I just purchased another Vapor X 7950 so wish me luck with AMD drivers. By the way i've had a 6850 and a 6950 before these bad boys i'll be getting in a few days. My i5 2500k is overclocked to 4.7 ghz at the moment as well.
---
i5-2500k,Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3,2x 1Tb Spinpoint f3,sli EVGA 580 3GB.12gb G Skill Sniper 1600, Seasonic X750,Corsair 600t white,Corsair H100,Ocz Agility 3
#17nameless0101Posted 9/7/2013 2:42:22 AM
I've been crossfiring 2 5870's for about 2 years now (Getting old I know) and I can count on one hand the amount of games that haven't worked due to crossfire.

It's pretty good if you want more power but don't want to spend loads more money to get a card with enough power on top of your current card to warrant the cost.

I think you made a pretty good choice.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag DeludedFool
PSN Name also DeludedFool
#18thetruth928(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 2:50:38 AM
Thank you nameless i have a sli setup that i am extremely happy with. I can't wait to receive both cards and i have never had any problems running anything with sli 580's. I bought both cards for about 420 give or take. Hope i don't regret going crossfire at all.
---
i5-2500k,Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3,2x 1Tb Spinpoint f3,sli EVGA 580 3GB.12gb G Skill Sniper 1600, Seasonic X750,Corsair 600t white,Corsair H100,Ocz Agility 3