This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Where can I get Windows XP for a new build

#31QUIKPosted 9/10/2013 3:53:49 AM
Shub posted...
uwa ej posted...
XP is a lot more mature

Kind of like an old man in the early stages of dementia.

lol i love the internet
#32ein311Posted 9/10/2013 3:57:06 AM
josh_bazzell posted...
I just upgraded to 8, and my comp decided to freeze every 15 seconds and not even want to boot into windows half the time, then it fubared and I had to completely reformat my hard drive

don't blame the OS for PEBKAC.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#33RavlinPosted 9/10/2013 4:01:08 AM
PC sales have been down since before Windows 8 was released. It's a continuing trend. People laughably thought that a new OS release would magically reverse the trend and when it didn't happen they blamed Windows 8.

Smartphone and tablet sales are higher than PC sales, according to the #1 PC maker.

So it's pretty obvious that people are buying smartphones and tablets instead of PCs and the decline in PC sales has nothing to do with the newest Windows OS.

Installing XP on a new computer is simply a waste. It's going to be the prime target of exploits when Microsoft stops patching security vulnerabilities. No antivirus or antimalware program can protect it after that.

Sources:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/pc-sales-fall-for-fifth-consecutive-quarter/
http://bgr.com/2013/08/15/lenovo-smartphone-sales-q1-2014/
#34ein311Posted 9/10/2013 4:08:02 AM
Ravlin posted...
PC sales have been down since before Windows 8 was released. It's a continuing trend. People laughably thought that a new OS release would magically reverse the trend and when it didn't happen they blamed Windows 8.

nu uh, it's completely because of windows 8!
Ignore the fact that more people are using mobile content consumption and the average consumer sees the value in a $500 iPad to do everything their old PC did (Facebook, timekiller games) plus allow them to check Facebook on the toilet.
Nah, it ain't any of that. The paradigm for technology hasn't shifted or anything. New platforms aren't eating into traditional PC sales. It's completely windows 8 based, and the sooner you can get that through your thick skull the sooner you can join the neckbeard hivemind.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#35Lord_XandrosPosted 9/10/2013 4:27:21 AM
josh_bazzell posted...
I just upgraded to 8, and my comp decided to freeze every 15 seconds and not even want to boot into windows half the time, then it fubared and I had to completely reformat my hard drive, losing 10 seasons of Red Dwarf and all my games and music. I have a TB hard drive and a 250 gb cap on my internet. This is a bad thing. Windows 8 more stable? Yeah, no... I would recommend 7 over XP or 8 any day of the week

So you downloaded a virus and then blamed Windows 8.

Makes sense.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrraveygravy/
#36josh_bazzellPosted 9/13/2013 12:26:04 AM
ein311 posted...
josh_bazzell posted...
I just upgraded to 8, and my comp decided to freeze every 15 seconds and not even want to boot into windows half the time, then it fubared and I had to completely reformat my hard drive

I own a computer business and have built/upgraded/repaired every type of system imaginable for 20 years. Thanks much
---
My gaming rig: ASUS G73JW: I7 740qm, 8 gigs ddr3, Nvidia Geforce 460m.
I like single player games. Nothing is quite as enjoyable as playing with myself.
#37josh_bazzellPosted 9/13/2013 12:27:01 AM
ein311 posted...
josh_bazzell posted...

I own a computer business and have built/upgraded/repaired every type of system imaginable for 20 years. Thanks much
---
I like single player games. Nothing is quite as enjoyable as playing with myself.
#38josh_bazzellPosted 9/13/2013 12:35:02 AM
Lord_Xandros posted...
josh_bazzell posted...
I just upgraded to 8, and my comp decided to freeze every 15 seconds and not even want to boot into windows half the time, then it fubared and I had to completely reformat my hard drive, losing 10 seasons of Red Dwarf and all my games and music. I have a TB hard drive and a 250 gb cap on my internet. This is a bad thing. Windows 8 more stable? Yeah, no... I would recommend 7 over XP or 8 any day of the week

Makes sense.

Didnt download ANYTHING, fresh format, fresh install, drivers off of a usb drive. Nice try tho
---
#39josh_bazzellPosted 9/13/2013 12:36:20 AM
Lord_Xandros posted...
josh_bazzell posted...

Makes sense.

Didnt download ANYTHING, fresh format, fresh install, drivers off of a usb drive. Nice try tho
---
#40matu90rkPosted 9/13/2013 1:34:11 AM(edited)
d209999 posted...
rusty12000 posted...
Golden Maven posted...
rusty12000 posted...
I would advise windows 7, as a huge XP fan, moving to 7 was a positive experience. Also stay far far.... far... FAR FAR FAR away from Windows 8, it is god awful.

lol, what a noob. probably tried Win8 for 30 seconds and got confused.

Hating Windows 8 doesn't make you a noob, If anything its the very opposite.

It proves you're a sheep.

The derogatory term 'sheep' is used for people who follow commands without giving thought about it, commands like "you should upgrade to Windows 8!".

I tried Windows 8, and OSX and plenty Unix distros and right now the one I like best is Windows 7. Same happened back when people were upgrading from XP to Vista, I'd rather wait for the version that's actually an improvement.