This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the hell do I download slow on Steam but can load sites fast?

#21BigB0ss13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 3:22:31 AM
Upgrade speed? I don't need to upgrade since the problem is where the router is and where my computer is located. Also just about an hour ago I got a consistent 1+ mb per second download speed which rarely happens to me and my download finished way faster than I expected. Can less people on Steam help with that? It was around 2 am before I started to resume my download again
#22SenkoyPosted 9/7/2013 3:30:16 AM
Do what ihumpmypillow89 suggested and get a repeater. It's your best bet.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#23BigB0ss13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 3:40:03 AM
Can you guys tell me everything about this repeater thingy and how to set up everything? Do I need to physically do anything do my current router or just go into the thing with the settings and stuff online? Forgot what that's called
#24crawdadPosted 9/7/2013 4:09:38 AM
yeah go into the settngs of the repeater/extender and change the settings on that. All it's doing is capturing the signal from the router and rebroadcasting it. for the best affect, put half way between the router and where you want it to broadcast too.

What you'll end up doing is you'll log into the repeater and put in the router's wifi information (SSID/Network name and password) and then create the repeaters Wifi information (SSID/Network name and a new or same password). If your Comcast connection is 20mbps that's actually not bad and faster than a good portion of peoples in the US, so yes upgrading or a new ISP is NOT going to fix your problem.

Either do the repeater thing or buy a new and expensive router with better broadcasting capabilities.
---
Spit in the face of life and have a good day out of sheer f****** spite!
GT:Gojirra PSN Gojirra102 steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#25BigB0ss13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 4:40:40 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#26BigB0ss13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 4:41:47 AM
crawdad posted...
yeah go into the settngs of the repeater/extender and change the settings on that. All it's doing is capturing the signal from the router and rebroadcasting it. for the best affect, put half way between the router and where you want it to broadcast too.

What you'll end up doing is you'll log into the repeater and put in the router's wifi information (SSID/Network name and password) and then create the repeaters Wifi information (SSID/Network name and a new or same password). If your Comcast connection is 20mbps that's actually not bad and faster than a good portion of peoples in the US, so yes upgrading or a new ISP is NOT going to fix your problem.

Either do the repeater thing or buy a new and expensive router with better broadcasting capabilities.

Would it work if I just put it in my room instead of putting it outside my room and around half way to my computer and the router? And they can use either usb or a power outlet? Also would it make other computers internet speed in my house slower?
#27BigB0ss13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 8:12:45 AM
One more thing, what are the best repeater/extender to get that don't cost an arm and a leg?
#28AMDZFanPosted 9/7/2013 8:17:48 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned checking the channels. Download something like Wifi Analyzer on Android and see which channels are crowded and set your router to any channel other than a crowded channel. TBH, this issue (low download speed, high upload speed) is something I've seen when using a crowded channel before.

If you can't do that, then try going through the channels and running speedtest on each to see which gives you the best result
---
98% of people copy other people's signatures and paste it as their own.
If you are one of the 2% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
#29Eclypse9810Posted 9/7/2013 10:55:31 AM
My steam downloads at 600~800 KB/s. Origin downloads at 1~1.4 MB/s

Just use Origin unless the game is Steam-only or much cheaper. Valve cares more about Trading Cards and it's Big Picture thing then it's network infrastructure.
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
#30boochyPosted 9/7/2013 11:33:32 AM
I haven't read every post on here, but have you tried changing your download server in Steam?
---
Xbox Live GT/PSN ID - Duck Tales LOL/DuckTalesLOL
Steam ID: DuckTalesLOL