This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the hell do I download slow on Steam but can load sites fast?

#31JKatarnPosted 9/7/2013 11:41:53 AM
crawdad posted...
yeah go into the settngs of the repeater/extender and change the settings on that. All it's doing is capturing the signal from the router and rebroadcasting it. for the best affect, put half way between the router and where you want it to broadcast too.

What you'll end up doing is you'll log into the repeater and put in the router's wifi information (SSID/Network name and password) and then create the repeaters Wifi information (SSID/Network name and a new or same password). If your Comcast connection is 20mbps that's actually not bad and faster than a good portion of peoples in the US, so yes upgrading or a new ISP is NOT going to fix your problem.

Either do the repeater thing or buy a new and expensive router with better broadcasting capabilities.

Also, TC's slow speed could be due to his brother/other members of the household draining the connection by downloading large files/streaming constantly.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#32BigB0ss13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 12:17:27 PM
JKatarn posted...
crawdad posted...
yeah go into the settngs of the repeater/extender and change the settings on that. All it's doing is capturing the signal from the router and rebroadcasting it. for the best affect, put half way between the router and where you want it to broadcast too.

What you'll end up doing is you'll log into the repeater and put in the router's wifi information (SSID/Network name and password) and then create the repeaters Wifi information (SSID/Network name and a new or same password). If your Comcast connection is 20mbps that's actually not bad and faster than a good portion of peoples in the US, so yes upgrading or a new ISP is NOT going to fix your problem.

Either do the repeater thing or buy a new and expensive router with better broadcasting capabilities.

Also, TC's slow speed could be due to his brother/other members of the household draining the connection by downloading large files/streaming constantly.

I only share the internet with them for about 3-5 hours a day. When I have a day off from work I go online all day and my family is either at work or school and when Im the only one at my house this slow connection on steam happens too.
#33NauticalDisastaPosted 9/7/2013 2:37:33 PM
I can't believe you have 5x the upload speed. Never saw that before. Here's my test for comparison: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2951814936.
---
"Either it'll move me, or it'll move right though me. Fully. Completely." - Gordon Downie
360/Steam - NauticalDisasta
#34BigB0ss13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 4:06:07 PM
I downloaded the speedtest app fpr iphone, went 15 ft away from the router and I got 8.73 megabyte/s download and 4.18 upload
#35BigB0ss13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 9:15:45 PM
BigB0ss13 posted...
crawdad posted...

Would it work if I just put it in my room instead of putting it outside my room and around half way to my computer and the router? And they can use either usb or a power outlet? Also would it make other computers internet speed in my house slower?