This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Where are the boss fights!?

#1BogePosted 9/6/2013 6:04:06 PM
I just caught a glimpse of this http://arcadesushi.com/most-aneurysm-causing-rpg-boss-fights/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_38855

Every one of those games are RPGs. It makes me realize that most games these days just don't even have boss fights! Why not? Nothing feels more awesome than beating a boss in a game.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#2DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/6/2013 6:16:45 PM
Because boss fights are more popular in Japanese style RPGs?
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#3El_KazPosted 9/6/2013 6:17:00 PM
10 Most Aneurysm-Causing RPG Boss Fights

Boge posted...
Every one of those games are RPGs.

You don't say?
---
Wait... what?
#4MagnemightPosted 9/6/2013 6:24:14 PM
y'know, this actually brings up a bit of a concern of mine, actually

PC games tend not to have many boss fights.

Boss fights are more of a trope belonging to RPGs and platformers, which aren't particularly common on PC. Folks who make strategy games tend to avoid having boss fights (never understood why; just make a giant, tanky unit that targets areas instead of individual units), and FPSes don't have many boss fights, either. Or at least, most FPS boss fights are rather terrible.

are there any FPSes that have good bosses, actually? I'd like to know.
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against the Shy Guys!
Download the demo (offsite): http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=29243
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/6/2013 6:37:52 PM
Magnemight posted...
y'know, this actually brings up a bit of a concern of mine, actually

PC games tend not to have many boss fights.

Boss fights are more of a trope belonging to RPGs and platformers, which aren't particularly common on PC. Folks who make strategy games tend to avoid having boss fights (never understood why; just make a giant, tanky unit that targets areas instead of individual units), and FPSes don't have many boss fights, either. Or at least, most FPS boss fights are rather terrible.

are there any FPSes that have good bosses, actually? I'd like to know.

Metroid Prime sure did!
Borderlands games had some decent bosses as well.
If TPS counts, then Lost Planet games have some awesome boss fights.
Older FPS like Quake and Unreal had some decent boss fights.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein had some fun boss fights as well.
Painkiller got some praise for it's bosses, but I never made it far enough to really know.
Red Faction 2 had a decent boss or two.

All off of very hazy memory, though.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#6Inferno700Posted 9/6/2013 6:42:05 PM
Back to the 90's?

Yesterday I decided to finish Twilight Princess which certainly has boss fights. Maybe you are just playing the wrong hands for boss fights?
---
NNID: Jesus-is-God 3DS FC: 3952-8112-9436
Steam ID: Inferno700
#7NingishzidaPosted 9/6/2013 6:46:06 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8MonkeymagePosted 9/6/2013 6:49:38 PM
Nowadays developers are too concerned that their videogame (which is srsly a critique on social issues, guys) would be interpreted as "too much like a videogame" if it had a boss fight.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#9NingishzidaPosted 9/6/2013 6:54:37 PM
or you could say bosses represent difficulty spikes, and in contemporary gaming sudden changes in difficulty (say +5%, let alone the +300% of 10 years ago) scares teh casuals away
#10Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 7:41:05 PM
I'm not sure I can think of a game that wouldn't be more fun (for me) with boss fights. Skyrim? No, those dragons aren't bosses, and no, those other stupid enemies that are the same as everything else aren't bosses either. I'm talking bosses!

What are some games with good boss fights? (yes, I know about D-Souls...best boss fights ever probably.)
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.