This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Where are the boss fights!?

#11Treason686Posted 9/6/2013 8:13:01 PM
There are TONS of PC games with bosses. I don't think this is specific to the PC platform at all.

I was scrolling through my list of Steam games and going to make a list until I realized how many games do have bosses.

It's definitely true that a smaller percentage of games have bosses then before. Platformers didn't really have much reason not to have bosses that were insane. Nowadays, games have much more depth where maybe a boss fight doesn't fit, or just giving standard enemies special guns provides an equivalent challenge.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#12Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 8:17:43 PM
Maybe it's just the games I've been playing lately. They're so lifeless and boring. Then I play a game like Dark Souls and 300 hours later... So I think I need boss fights to keep me interested.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#13NingishzidaPosted 9/6/2013 8:42:48 PM
the trend now is to ego-stroke the player, Dark Souls is a rare exception

games now are more about an immortal uberbuild going up against endless lethal-looking yet impotent swarms of foes blotting out the sky that don't dent the screen-long healthbar by more than 2% even if you stand still and let them gnaw and claw you while you make a coffee
#14Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 8:46:01 PM
I hate trends.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#15MonkeymagePosted 9/6/2013 8:55:38 PM
Treason686 posted...
There are TONS of PC games with bosses. I don't think this is specific to the PC platform at all.

I was scrolling through my list of Steam games and going to make a list until I realized how many games do have bosses.

It's definitely true that a smaller percentage of games have bosses then before. Platformers didn't really have much reason not to have bosses that were insane. Nowadays, games have much more depth where maybe a boss fight doesn't fit, or just giving standard enemies special guns provides an equivalent challenge.

I think it's more like boss fights are tricky to do well; they need to be balanced, carefully thought out, and they need to fit within the context of an overall greater level design. Level design and general effort into the design of the game itself is lacking in many games recently, and nobody can be arsed to do a proper boss.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#16DiviDudePosted 9/6/2013 9:03:48 PM
Metroid Prime sure did!

Metroid Prime's boss fights are awful. Recognize a pattern, do it over and over and eventually slightly faster as the boss's health falls, dragging on far longer than it has any reason to. Lame.

I think it's more like boss fights are tricky to do well; they need to be balanced, carefully thought out, and they need to fit within the context of an overall greater level design. Level design and general effort into the design of the game itself is lacking in many games recently, and nobody can be arsed to do a proper boss.

Well put. And that's probably why RPGs tend to have better bosses - it's usually just a more difficult version of what you've been facing the entire game. As opposed to, say, Metroid Prime where all of the sudden the style of game changes dramatically (or worse yet, Deus Ex HR.)