This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My friend has a dilemma and he needs some advice.

#1AshWilliams78Posted 9/6/2013 8:01:18 PM
He currently has a GTX 570.

He raised $400 and he was planning on upgrading to a GTX 770. Now, he also wants an SSD so he was looking at the new Samsung 840 EVO 250GB for around $180. He can't afford both at the moment so I suggested that maybe he should just get the SSD and hold off on the GTX 770 till later seeing as the 570 is still a pretty good card.

What do you guys think?

I even suggested waiting for the inevitable GTX 870 which should be sometime next year.
---
Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this?
This is my BOOMSTICK!
#2TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 9/6/2013 8:02:47 PM
Loan sharks.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#3LoshadtPosted 9/6/2013 8:03:33 PM
It's a choice between faster loading/boot times and all of the graphics.

If it were me I would choose the 770, SSDs aren't anything more than a luxury because a high-end GPU isn't amirite? but a good GPU will work wonders.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#4BogePosted 9/6/2013 8:38:09 PM(edited)
Hard to say. An SSD really doesn't seem to make much difference for me. Maybe I'm just more patient than most people and can wait an extra 10 second for my computer to boot up. Maybe I don't have a good drive. I do see less stutter in some games though, but that's about all the benefit I'm getting from an SSD.

The 570 is still a decent card. Unless your friend is playing some demanding games and really wants that Ultra @ 60fps, I'd advise against that too.

Tell him to stash that $400 away for later. Or just buy something else for something else. There is always a place for something new, car seats? A new coat? Maybe some speakers? New set of tires? Maybe just for savings for car repairs someday? How about for Christmas gifts? School books?

I'm not sure there is anything I enjoy having more than that money cushion keeping me safe. That's what I'd enjoy most with that $400.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.