This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thoughts before I order? Opinions on 8350 stock cooler

#1ChocobonerPosted 9/6/2013 11:52:04 PM
I don't plan on overclocking this build for a while so I would like to spare some change by using the stock cooler I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience using stock cooling on the 8350. Won't be OCing until I go SLI which won't be for awhile as I'd also need to purchase a new PSU. If you see anywhere else I can cut some costs without sacrificing performance please tell!
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1ASAB
#2SuperemppuPosted 9/7/2013 1:22:02 AM
The 8350 is a 125W TDP CPU. I had a FX-4170 a while back that was also a 125W TDP CPU and the stock cooler was rubbish. It just couldn't keep the CPU cool enough. While gaming, the temps shot up to 60C+ while the fan was at full speed @ around 4500-5000RPM, causing the CPU to throttle and drop the clocks and volts so the CPU could cool a bit. I had to undervolt the thing to keep it in the green and even then the stock fan was at full blast always when I did something that stressed it and the noise it made was ridiculous.

If you plan to OC the card in the future, get a good cooler now and enjoy the silence in the meantime.
---
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.
#3JockoPosted 9/7/2013 6:42:04 AM
You could probably get away with 4gb of RAM. And I would recommend the Coolermaster 212 EVO. It's got a great bang for buck ratio and you can typically get them for 30 bucks or less if you look around.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#4hondaman42390Posted 9/7/2013 9:20:44 AM(edited)
Chocoboner posted...
I don't plan on overclocking this build for a while so I would like to spare some change by using the stock cooler I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience using stock cooling on the 8350. Won't be OCing until I go SLI which won't be for awhile as I'd also need to purchase a new PSU. If you see anywhere else I can cut some costs without sacrificing performance please tell!

Stock cooler is fine with stock clocks. It can get kinda loud, but the temps are ok.

EDIT: you could always try it and if you can't stand the noise, get a better cooler later. Hyper212 EVO is good for ~30, but when you do decide to start overclocking you will want something better.
---
AMD FX-8320 @ 4.6 1.44v | EVGA GTX 760 SC | 8GB DDR3 1600 | 256GB Samsung 840 | Asus M5A99FX
#5PathlessBulletPosted 9/7/2013 9:18:56 AM
hondaman42390 posted...
Chocoboner posted...

Stock cooler is fine with stock clocks. It can get kinda loud, but the temps are ok.

Hence not fine.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#6hondaman42390Posted 9/7/2013 9:22:40 AM
PathlessBullet posted...
hondaman42390 posted...
Chocoboner posted...

Hence not fine.

Excellent opinion you have there.

Here's mine:
When used with headphones or a headset it was fine.
---
AMD FX-8320 @ 4.6 1.44v | EVGA GTX 760 SC | 8GB DDR3 1600 | 256GB Samsung 840 | Asus M5A99FX
#7MasterDonGeroPosted 9/7/2013 9:34:07 AM
PathlessBullet posted...
hondaman42390 posted...
Chocoboner posted...

Hence not fine.

And you're TC? Why post with two accounts in the same thread? It's not helping, because we assume you're some ass that pretends to know what TC wants. Try using one account to minimize confusion.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#8PathlessBulletPosted 9/7/2013 9:38:55 AM
hondaman42390 posted...
PathlessBullet posted...
hondaman42390 posted...
Chocoboner posted...

Hence not fine.

Here's mine:

That's an important bit you left out there when recommending it.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#9hondaman42390Posted 9/7/2013 11:42:07 AM
PathlessBullet posted...
hondaman42390 posted...
PathlessBullet posted...
hondaman42390 posted...
Chocoboner posted...

Hence not fine.

Here's mine:

That's an important bit you left out there when recommending it.

"I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience using stock cooling"

I gave my experience with it. Got any more stupid comments to make?
---
#10fataliPosted 9/7/2013 12:03:04 PM
Don't drop the memory to 4 GB, the prices of memory are going up, if you can get 8 GB now don't wait until later.

And stock cooler is really not recommended, the processor just heats up way too much.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.