This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wireless internet connectivity troubles

#1MahoganyTooth92Posted 9/7/2013 4:25:27 AM
My computer is in my room in the attic, and the wireless router is downstairs, connected to the family computer. Naturally, my connection isn't the best, and by that I mean it's pretty effing horrible, so I've had to use my phone.
Often, windows (7) says I'm connected to the internet, yet I can't access any websites and Skype says I am offline. Occasionally the same thing will happen, but I'll actually be able to connect to Skype, and message my Friends, yet I still won't be able to go to any websites. Why is this?/is there any way to fix this?

Secondly, I was wondering if there is any way to use my phone as a wireless adapter for my computer. It's a windows phone, a Nokia lumia.
---
"PC has a $0 a year maintenance fee. The only money I put into my PC is buying more games. Have fun with your subscription based gaming." -SirisS-G-P
#2LordSeiferPosted 9/7/2013 4:34:03 AM
instead of tethering from your phone just fix the wireless connectivity.

also dang at being in the attic. (also sometimes skype just sucks)

You have a few options for doing this, basically you need a router or access point closer to your computer. here are a list of options you have, you only need to do one of them.

Run a cable from the router to your attic and plug it in.
Run a cable from downstairs to the next floor above, put an additional router there to get better signal.
Connect a router wirelessly to the first router using WDS to improve your signal strength (on main floor)
get a powerline networking kit, plug one end in your room and the other neat the router and itll act like you have a network cable between the two.
try to get a stronger wireless adapter, like a cantenna or something for your computer. (result may vary)

as for being able to use skype but not websites, sounds like an either related or unrelated DNS issue. easy way to test is when its happening, open up a command prompt and type
"ping www.google.com", see if that works, then "ping 8.8.8.8" see if that works.
if the first fails and the second works, DNS is your problem and pretty easy to fix
---
^ this
#3MahoganyTooth92(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 4:53:57 AM
I'll be getting a better wireless adapter next week, was just wondering if there was a quick, dirty solution with my phone for the weekend.
---
"PC has a $0 a year maintenance fee. The only money I put into my PC is buying more games. Have fun with your subscription based gaming." -SirisS-G-P
#4LordSeiferPosted 9/7/2013 4:55:33 AM
yes, depends on the phone.
google how to tether from *insert phone here*

and hope you have a good data plan.

or you could just move downstairs briefly
---
^ this
#5LordSeiferPosted 9/7/2013 4:56:22 AM
also better wireless adapter is my least favourite of those options.
imo your money is better spent by repeating the signal, unless your current adapter is straight up garbage it might not help a whole lot
---
^ this
#6Incendia_IntusPosted 9/7/2013 5:02:42 AM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned making your own windsurfer yet as a possible solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwW26jNWAQE
---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W
#7MahoganyTooth92(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 5:14:08 AM(edited)
My adapter kinda is just straight up garbage. I'll look up how to tether my phone, then. Moving downstairs isn't an option at the moment, I'm afraid. Neither is running the ethernet cable, according to the person who'd be capable of doing it.

Tethering my phone requires me to have 3g, which I don't. I was hoping to just use the phones wireless adapter.
---